2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse Oil Leak, Oil leak on drivers side

Old 11-06-2010, 06:21 PM
Exclamation 1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse Oil Leak, Oil leak on drivers side

Hello,
I am kind of new to this forum, but I have a few questions and I hope a few of you will have the answer.

I have a 1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse RS 2.0L with the 420a motor (non-turbo) with about 74,000 miles on it. She is a beauty, but I do have a couple problems I've noticed.

The first major concern is the Oil leak that I have noticed since I bought the car about a week ago. It is closer to the Drivers side behind the motor. It looks to be dripping on the Engine support beam/bar. I have heard many things of what this could be, but would like more "professional" help.

Another issue I am having is I noticed my Service Light came on a few days ago (the day after I put a full tank of 91 octane gas. The code I am getting is P0420. I have put some Lucas fuel injector cleaner in the tank and will see how that works for this car.

Any suggestions or anything, leave them here.

Thanks Guys

Old 11-07-2010, 01:47 AM

Ok, seems fairly easy first the oil leak (cant really see it in your picture) but i have an RS as well and i had this problem as well it very well might be your valve cover gasket extremely easy fix, and as far as your code P0420 is basically your cat-converter not working as well as it should usually caused by the upstream O2 sensor i believe? a very very likely cause of this is that fact that you put high octane into your car, which causes the the car to run hotter (higher grade fuel, higher temp combustion) what i would do is use up all the fuel in the tank then go back to putting in regular fuel 87-89 octane (depending on where you live) remember this is a non-turbo car it doesn't need the pricey fuel. if you still have a check engine light on with the same code you might need a new O2 sensor.

Old 11-07-2010, 01:51 AM

(also another cause of the code might be an exhaust leak somewhere in your exhaust system but im putting my money on the high octane fuel since you never had the code till now)

Old 11-07-2010, 08:37 AM

The pictures I have up I just took of the motor and the car itself, they have nothing to do with the oil leak. Sorry for the confusion.

I also believe that there is a little exhaust leak after the Cat, but its very very tiny.

Originally Posted by KaiserEclipse
Ok, seems fairly easy first the oil leak (cant really see it in your picture) but i have an RS as well and i had this problem as well it very well might be your valve cover gasket extremely easy fix, and as far as your code P0420 is basically your cat-converter not working as well as it should usually caused by the upstream O2 sensor i believe? a very very likely cause of this is that fact that you put high octane into your car, which causes the the car to run hotter (higher grade fuel, higher temp combustion) what i would do is use up all the fuel in the tank then go back to putting in regular fuel 87-89 octane (depending on where you live) remember this is a non-turbo car it doesn't need the pricey fuel. if you still have a check engine light on with the same code you might need a new O2 sensor.

Old 11-07-2010, 03:52 PM

im still saying the oil leak is most likely a gasket and that seems to be one hell of an oil leak lol, id have to say still check your valve cover gasket and maybe just maybe your oil pan gasket (mine started to leak about 6 months ago from the oil pan)

Old 11-11-2010, 06:59 PM

I have the same thing goin on with my RS, go figure. I was told that a bad head gasket could be disguised as a standard oil leak by the oil leaking from the gasket leaking down the block over the oil pan appearing like a leak from the pan.

Im kinda doubting this is at all the case, just something Ive heard. Ill check out my valve cover tomorrow and see whats up with that.

Old 11-12-2010, 12:30 PM
Banned

That is not what's happening here.

That's either the rear main seal or simply the oil pan gasket. One is about 04320948x easier to replace than the other.

As for your P0420 code, that just means your catalytic converter is gone.