2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

im an idiot

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2008, 01:37 AM
Default im an idiot

so tonight i went "drifting". we had new fallen snow and so i go out to two different lots. one lot i went through a bank of snow, maybe about a foot deep. it was just a line of snow. later on i go to another lot that hasnt been plowed so there was about 6" or so of snow as i find out. as im spinning and what not, im watching my rpms making sure i dont get them too high. after a few minutesi start to smell something. i look at the temperature gauge and the needle is past the max hot bar and i actually couldnt see the tip of the needle it was so high. i see smoke coming out of the hood so i shut the car off for a few minutes. tried to start it again 3 times and no luck. waited a little more and it started again. later i have the car sit for about 2 or 3 hours. then i had to go back home and i thought the engine would have been cooled. but the temp. needle shot right back up. i tried to get as much snow out from the fender/radiator area as i could.
does anyone know why the engine would still be so hot after hours of cooling down in 15 degree weather. did i bust something or what. sorry for the long story, and yes, i know how stupid i am.

Old 12-24-2008, 06:25 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: im an idiot

might want to check to make sure you didnt break any lines. See if you still have full coolant. There also is the worst case scenario and that is that all those high revs and messing around blew the headgasket

Old 12-24-2008, 09:53 AM
Super Moderator

^ I agree check the coolant level if its spikes fast probably have none in the car.

Old 12-25-2008, 09:22 PM

i filled the coolant. the resevior tank was half filled. checked it again later after driving and the coolant was gone. and some how my oil was low too. i looked in Haynes and it said it could be the water pump. any ideas? im having the car taken in over the weekend.
also i get no heat into the car and the defroster does not work.

Old 12-25-2008, 10:39 PM

sounds like you toasted a head gasket. is your oil kinda frothy looking? kind of like a cappuccino?

Old 12-26-2008, 11:37 AM
Super Moderator

Try doing a compression test.

Old 12-30-2008, 03:27 PM

so turns out its the head gasket, it leaked so much that i lost a good amount of coolant and oil, and possibly both are mixing into the engine. the guy said that if i replace the head gasket i would need the bolts replaced too, along with possibly resurfacing in case of any warpage. its a 7 hour labor job and the cost would be about 800 bucks. does this seem like a fair price, or should i take it to the Mitsu Stealer.

Old 12-30-2008, 07:27 PM
Super Moderator

I would suggest getting a mls head gasket, arp hard ware, replace your timing belt, tensioner, balance shaft belt and water pump.

What all does the $800 include?

Old 12-30-2008, 10:18 PM

it sounds like the 800 includes everything... i'd say go for, and yes the bolts definitely need to be replaced because they are stretch bolts and are only meant to be tightened down once... resurfacing wouldnt be a bad idea cuz it seems like you didnt know how long you were driving it after the gasket blew...

Old 12-31-2008, 12:14 AM

labor, 100 dollar gasket, new bolts, resurfacing = $800

and yea i need to get my timing belt replaced also, but i dont have that kind of money just yet, especially if i do this first for 800. it is alright to get the gasket done first. then wait off to do the timing belt/water pump.

Quick Reply: im an idiot