2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

97-99' eclipse gsx engine swap with lancer evo 8

Old 01-28-2005, 11:11 PM
Default 97-99' eclipse gsx engine swap with lancer evo 8

hi im very newbie at this but i have a question on the possibilities on engine swapping. i just recently bought a 99' eclipse GSX and wonder if it was possible to engine swap with the new 03-04' lancer evo. i just check out the previous posts before this and i was very confused because i kept referring to the older eclipse gens. if it possible would anoyone know any links to the process or can explain it because i found a 9k lancer evo 8 engine on sale. i love my eclipse gsx as well as the new evos i just wanted to know if i can put both loves together. hopefully if possible this engine swapping would not cost me a fortune

Old 01-30-2005, 01:46 AM
Default RE: 97-99' eclipse gsx engine swap with lancer evo 8

I dont think engine swapping would be worth your while. Both cars have the same basic 4g63 engine with the evo having slightly higher compression, bigger turbo etc. The GSX has awesome potential and you should focus on upgrading the turbo and basic bolt ons for power.

Old 01-30-2005, 06:16 PM

It would be cheaper to swap a 1st gen or to upgrade the turbo, their basically the same engine.

Old 01-30-2005, 10:24 PM

i see so instead of focusing on swaping lancers and GSX engins i should pay more attention to turbo. that bring me to a whole new set of questions. srry to bother all those who are reading its just im very facsinated at what u can do with a car-just like overclocking computer i guess mai question to swaping engines has been answer but like science it brings forth new questions. if i upgrade the turbo is it a good idea to make it TT, if possible......? and for some reason when i ask around people tell me the same thing nate5023 has told me. i should swap with the 1 gen motors. is it because it can give me more portenional in horsepower? i like what DSMTalonAWD51 said and i should focus on the turbo. it just begs the question why swap the 3gen or 2gen (i keep forgeting with one is for the 99' year models) for a 1gen? i seems like downgrading it. but then again who knows what the 1 gen has in store. sorry to bore all those that are reading but those that have question lke me can hopeully get answer i once again tahnks nate5023 and DSMTalonAWD51 for thier response .

Old 02-01-2005, 09:59 PM

As usual anything can be done but have to fix it up the chassy and the motor mount either way not really worth it they're both almost the same exept the evo4+ 4g63 is the reverse of the eclipse 4g63...meaning one timing belt is on the drivers side (eclipse) and the other on the passengers side.

Old 02-02-2005, 01:30 PM

i believe the 1g gets better airflow, you can also do a 6 bolt swap, those engines are much stronger and you can build more hp into the engine........ but basic questions are: where do you want to go with it........ how much are you willing to spend.........

Old 02-02-2005, 08:45 PM

thanks for your advice 1398spr i plan to bump up the hp and decided on decreaseing thie 0-60 time. spending on the other hand i am willing to spend at most up to 5k on performance but the looks i plan to leave that hanging since the mods out are as pretty and i like how the car looks stock. =)

Old 02-04-2005, 01:09 PM

to start with, id go with a front mount intercooler, swap for a bigger turbo, upgrade the fuel system, and a manual boost controler, start with that and see how you like it, that should do ya real good on the 0-60 time........... have you done the free mods yet...........

Old 02-07-2005, 05:13 AM

sorry im very newby at modding since i dont plan to mod the car's exterior b/c i like the way it loks stock. i guess ill keep it as a sleeper........... "free mods"?? i over read sorry like i said im newby so i dont know anything about free mods. but thanks for your ideas ill do the intercooler and fuel system and boost controller very soon but installing the turbo will take me longer due to researching what and where i should get the turbo.

Old 02-07-2005, 07:24 PM

Sorry for the late reply, but a bit of clarification, the EVO8 engine won't drop into the older eclipse chassis(1g and 2g or 89-99 vehicles). The engine orientation is reversed in the EVO's, So that the engine is on the passengers side of the car while the transmission is on the Drivers side. The eclipse had it the opposite way around, up until the 2000+ models came out. Since the exhaust side of the engine is still facing the front of the car, simply turning the engine around is gonna be really hard with all the plumbing you'd have to do. It's a little hard to explain on paper, the best example would be to get the two cars side by side and compare the engine bays. However, you can swap an EVO8 engine into 3g eclipse!....If the need ever arises....

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 97-99' eclipse gsx engine swap with lancer evo 8