2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

Poor fuel consumption

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2007, 09:23 PM
Default Poor fuel consumption

Well this recently just happened.. i been paying attention to my gas meter and its been suckin alot of gas lately. hasn't thrown a code till today.. I filled up my tank and not even a day has pass i am already half way. Probably put on max 100 kilometers. Normally full tank last me a week. I suspect 02 sensor since its throwing a code. Just wondering if anybody feels the same. I will get it scanned tomorrow.. To see. Only maintenace done to car since i had it was plugs and wires. Oh and if its the 02 sensor should i change both or just the one that causing problem..

Old 07-29-2007, 09:37 PM
Default RE: Poor fuel consumption

yea definitely sounds likes an 02 sensor... take to auto zone to have them scan it... and as far as changing both, if you dont need to i wouldnt... they arent a really cheap fix, and the one thats bad is probably the real easy one to get to right on the exhaust behind the cat

Old 07-30-2007, 08:50 PM

P0450 is the code. which isn't the o2 sensor related.. its part of the evap system. I never had the evap system workin for a year. i just got it hooked up again last month and hasn't given me that code till now. Still stuck on why fuel consumption so crap.. when the tank is full it seem normal. but as soon as it goes below 3/4 it really burns gas till it gets to about 1/4 then seem normal again.. strange.

Old 07-30-2007, 09:39 PM

EGR valve?

Old 07-30-2007, 11:29 PM

i also drove the car for a year without egr system hooked up lol. it got reconnected same time as the evap system.. it just strange.. going to clean my air filter and change fuel filter and see. Dont know when the last time fuel filter got changed.

Old 07-31-2007, 06:26 AM

Yeah, a bad front o2 will cause bad fuel milage and so will the EGR system (not by much mind you). That code can also pop up if the rear o2 is bad. The rear o2 only monitors the cat btw. If the cat is clogged or if it isn't doing what it's supposed to because of unburnt fuel from being rich or a failed EGR system, that rear o2 will light up the CEL, but that's it. It won't lower your milage at all.
Check the front o2 and rear o2 as the manual suggests, check your plugs for any signs of..anything unusual, remove the EGR valve from the head and visually inspect it (look for soot around that area too), make sure the solenoid plug is connected properly, make sure your injectors aren't leaking (that's scary), can't think of anything else at the moment though. If I think of more, I'll post back, unless someone beats me to it, lol.

Old 08-01-2007, 12:18 AM

Will doo .. I just filled up and reset the milage counter on the speedo to record how far i travel before the next fill. That way i can lte u guys know my fuel consumption. I will drive city and highway and i will lay off the boost. Conservative driving. The size of the gas tank in the 2nd Gen GSX is 50 litre? I filled it at 45 but my guages said i was empty and no warning light came up. Normally i get it..

Old 08-01-2007, 02:45 AM

Hmmm, I wonder if you have a short in your second sender.....
If it were open, your gauge would read half when it will really be empty.
Then again, you wouldn't have to really fill it up, lol. Or you'd only have to fill it up about 25 or so litres.
So, yeah, take another reading and let us know.

Old 08-07-2007, 11:28 PM

Well. back from a week long of driving. Mainly city driving and a little bit of highway. Hardly any boosting and only used my AC once for like 15 minutes. With a full tank of gas i manage to get a little over 300miles. does that soudn right.. or normal to u guys.

Old 08-08-2007, 12:50 AM

in mine at best i only get like 230 mile per tank do you think maybe somthing is wrong. i just replaced the fuel filter so could somthing else be wrong if 300 is normal

Quick Reply: Poor fuel consumption