2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

Barely starts and then dies in 5 Seconds

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2007, 04:51 PM
Default RE: Barely starts and then dies in 5 Seconds

I checked some more under the hood. I found that the tube going from the Cold air intake to the turbo was very loose. I tightened it down after cleaning it off and tried to start it. No joy there. I did however record a couple clips of sound to help diagnose.

www.fixxpc.com/FromWindow.wav

www.fixxpc.com/underhood.wav

I just uploaded them to my site. I used my Phone to record them so the sound quality isn't the greatest. But it does give you the feel for whats happening.
I also checked battery voltage, it was at 12.9V

As far as the timing belt goes, I see two hash marks around the cam sprockets. When I am looking at the engine from the drivers fender both hash marks on the sprockets point up at the same time. All the timing belts I've done you have to point them twards each other ---> <---.
These are both | |. Anyone have a picture of proper camshaft alignment/timing? I know having a cam out of time can cause huge problems.

thanks again for any help.

Old 07-29-2007, 07:32 PM

timing marks need to be ----> <----- on the cams
and at the zero mark on the crank, as bad of a sound clip as that is i swear it sounds out of time and like the timing belt is rubbing the cover like an idler pulley came apart or the balance shaft belt is tangled up in there.
dont run it anymore, pull the timing cover and inpsect before you end up with bent valves if there is something wrong in there.

Old 07-29-2007, 08:30 PM

Is it possible to install the timing belt with the pullies etc... and end up with the marks Like this | | ? Perhaps the Mechanic that did the timing belt previously? OR do the sprockets/cam sensor ring install one way only? I'm not doubting you. I just want to understand the possible situations I could run into.

Old 07-29-2007, 10:40 PM

was the crank on the zero mark?
i think some crank pullys have more than one timing mark on them, maybe thats why

Old 07-30-2007, 06:46 AM

IF the Camsprockets/sensor ring installs one way only AND the Marks need to be like this ---><--- Knowing the sprockets both turn in the same direction, then the cam timing is out 180 degrees on on cam or 90 degrees on both. Paralell marks will never rotate to point at each other.
|| then // THEN --> --> then || then // then <-- <-- then ||. Looks like I need to find a book with some pictures and dig into it. I hate timing belts.....

Old 07-31-2007, 01:31 AM

theres 2 marks on both gears so if theyre both straight up, then you also have 2 straight down, turning 90 degrees they should line up.
if it was that far out of time youd have bent valves and it would never even try to start.
it takes 3 or 4 teeth out to bend valves in these.

Old 08-01-2007, 08:17 PM

[&o][&o][&o]UPDATE
Timing belt is out of time. I rotated the engine to TDC #1 and I felt/heard a cam slip several teeth.

Its beyond me how it started at all. I'm sure its likely my valves are bent, which sucks. What would be a good vehicle to get a good used head off of? Can I use my cams in another head? Can I put new valves in my head or have the seats and guides likely been damaged also?

Old 08-03-2007, 04:48 AM

i think you should try to stick a belt on it ,get itin time then do a compression check before firing it. you never know you mighta got lucky.
i spit the timing belt on my motor at over 6000 RPM and never touched a valve, how it didnt happen i dont know.
all that noise you heard mighta been the valve rattling against the pistons, or maybe not,...
fix it then check it before pulling the head. it makes life alot easier if you get a lucky break.
normally you can get away with just new valves in the head but not always.

Old 08-03-2007, 12:55 PM

I took some pictures to help verify I am getting ready to use the correct marks.

The crankshaft is the one I'm the most uncertain about. The crankshaft timing gear was damaged by your truly. Please don't ask... I feel foolish enough about it right now. All I have to say is this is still cheaper than paying someone else.

I was also wondering about how to test the tensioner(s) Today the timing belts didn't slip when rotated, and they seem tensioned properly. There is very little deflection on the belt.

Anyone able to verify the timing marks by the pictures I took? I need to get this car back together and the printouts I got don't give me a clear picture of the timing marks.

Old 08-06-2007, 08:13 PM

I started looking for the plug for the balance shaft on this thing and damned if I can't find it. I have looked on both sides of the engine block. the only thing I have found so far are two tiny plugs twards the top of the block. They both have a + in them for a phillips screw driver. One is very close to the Turbo housing. The other is very close to the alternator. Are these what I"m looking for? The instructions I have don't mention if I'm supposed to be looking on the engine block twards the front of the car or on the rear of the engine twards the firewall. I'm not sure if there is one of these or two I have to do this to.Thanks in advance for anyone who can help, preferably draw me a picture.....

Quick Reply: Barely starts and then dies in 5 Seconds