2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

Which is best/any difference?

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2004, 12:12 PM
Default Which is best/any difference?

Hi all,</P>

I'm new to the forum and hope to become a regular. I'm wanting to buy a Mits Eclipse (spyder) convertible. Money is an object (I won't be buying a new one). So, I'll probably be one of the older ones. Am I correct that the first Eclipse (spyder) convertible was the 1996?</P>

So, I'll probably be purchasing one anywhere from 1996 to 1999. I'm trying to find out if there is much difference in the engine, transmission, and dependability between a 1996 to 1999 eclipse spyder convertible. I'm not concerned about any body style changes, just the engine, tranny, and dependability... Are there any/many changes between the years? Which is the best to have and why?</P>

Thank you for any responses!</P>

</P>

Old 03-26-2004, 12:48 PM

Well, it depends on which model you want, the GS or the GST. I went for the GS because of cheaper insurance. However, a lot of GS's were automatics, so finding a 5-speed may be a little bit harder. The GST's were kind of abundant from 97-99, not very made in 96 though. If you want straight outta the box performance, get the GST. If you wanna have a car you can build and customize to your own specs and save money, get the GS. Now as for reliabilty, both models used a mitsu produced engine. The GST uses the 4g63 turbo engine and the GS uses the revered 4g64. You will be able to find quite a bit of info on the 4g63 from any DSM site, but the 4G64 is a little mysterious. The 4G64 is basically a 4g63 with a SOHC head, no turbo, and weaker internals(pistons and rods only really). It may not seem all that great, but there is a silver lining. It's a 2.4 liter engine or 2351cc. Also, since it is a G6 block, almost everything from the 4g63 will bolt up to it without a problem. When you realize what this means, you'll see that for very cheaply, you can buy a Spyder GS for much less than a GST, and put on adohc head along with FACTORY turbo components and easily outrun a Spyder GST. FACTORY TURBO COMPONENTS!!!! Very strong and reliable, and easily sourced from people who are upgrading their turbo cars. A Spyder GS and a Spyder GST both turbocharged with the same mods is barely a contest. The turbo GS has a W~I~D~E torque curve due to it's extra stroke(100mm on the 4g64 compared to 87.5mm on the 4g63). Also the bigger engine will help spool the turbo faster so boost comes sooner and feels stronger. The Hot swap in the DSM community is the 4g64 block...so why not start out with a car that already has the engine in it? and is cheaper? and is just as reliable? As for the changes between model years, except for the Fascia and light's change, there really isn't anything else. The 1999 Eclipse GS Coupes got an "OZ package" from the factory that came with OZ wheels(they look kinda nice), the whale tail spoiler, and 10th anniversary decals. However, that was only on the coupes, not the Spyders. Also, there were a few Spyders that came withouta spoiler. Kind of a treasure IMO.</P>

Old 03-26-2004, 12:56 PM

I don't really care about performance all that much, so I won't be doing too much modification on the engine (don't shoot me for saying that), and I'll be driving it to work (which is pretty far) so, I was happy to see that they get pretty good gas mileage...</P>

I'm sure I'd be getting the cheapr GS and not the GST... I just didn't know if any certain year engine/trans was more reliable than the other (in case they'd upgraded it)... If the 1996 was a dog and they corrected everything wrong with it in the 1997s, then I'd stay away from the 1996, but it seams like everything pretty much stayed the same... so, I'll just go with the best deal as far as year, mileage, looks, etc...</P>

</P>

</P>

Old 03-26-2004, 01:20 PM

Yep, the GS's also weigh less than a GST and many other cars for that matter....That means it takes less power to move which equals less gas. They're quite economical actually...I get about 275miles out of a full tank of cheap gas. But i do quite a bit of highway driving also. If you are concerned about fuel mileage, be aware that basic mods such as an aftermarket air filter and even an exhuast system upgrade will help push out another 2-3mpg any almost any car. Worth thinking about andmay evenbe better in the long run.</P>

Also, another thing i forgot to mention, the 95-99 Eclipse Turbo's(including Spyders) sometimes suffer from a horrible affliction called Crankwalk. It happens to about 40% of the cars. It's not a gradual thing and is only noticable when it gets too bad to be prevented. That's usually when the engine goes blows. There is now way of telling when it will happen or which car it will happen to. There is also no way of preventing it or curing it once it's started. But it only affects the turbo models for some reason. The 4g64 shares almost all the same internals as the 4g63turbo but has never had a reported case of crankwalk. I doubt you should have any worries though.</P>

Old 03-26-2004, 01:32 PM

Spyder GS - you rule! thank you for the information... If/when I get one, I will definitely be hitting you up for some info on increasing the gas mileage... how many gallons does your tank hold?</P>

I've been comparing 4 different convertibles, all around a 1995/96, the mits spyder, totota celica, ford mustang, and chevy camaro... Celica's seem to be priced a bit high, the spyder is just a little more than the mustang and camaro, but looks better (in my opinion).. I like the mustang more than the camaro and there are more of them around, so I could probably get a better deal on it... I'm not a huge ford fan, but I know that parts would be cheap if it broke down...</P>

What's your opinion of these 4 cars?</P>

</P>

Old 03-26-2004, 03:26 PM

Holy **** ur off man. I'm sorry to inform you that not 40% of the DSMs get crank walk. It's way....WAY less than that. That case is so rare it's unbelievable. It's nothing to ever be concerned with, as the chances you'll get it or so low.</P>

</P>

It only affects the turbo models because the turbo and non-turbo models are totally different engines.</P>

Old 03-26-2004, 10:24 PM

Colussus...do you have any expereince in DSM's? Please go say what you did in a real dsm forum. Then come back and tell me who's wrong. Also, the Spyder non-turbo's do not have a "completely different engine". Do some research before you decide to try and correct someone.

Old 03-30-2004, 08:01 PM

I don't need to. It's already been discussed many times on real DSM forums.</P>

</P>

http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/show...nkwalk+percent</P>

10%. A lot less than 40%.</P>

Old 03-30-2004, 08:07 PM

Holy s**t! Where in gods name did you get the 40% number?! If it was 40%, than there WOULD have been a recall.

Old 03-30-2004, 08:32 PM

<FONT size=1>Oooookkkk.....DSMTuners.....i don't really see that as a reliable sourcesince it seems like a lot of N/T guys and a few ricey turbo owners(did you see the guy with chrome wheels?)talking about it. Go to the clubdsm site(i'm not sure if it's up yet or still under renovation) and you shouldsee a link to owners with crankwalked cars. There's a registry somewhere on there thathas a list ofowners who wanted to file alawsuit withmitsubecause mitsu didn't cover the charges for the repair. And there are a lot of people filing the suit. a lot. Anyway, they discuss that it's been so many cars that have crankwalked,mitsu should have had a recall. </FONT></P>

<FONT color=black size=1>If you consider DSMTuners better than clubdsm.....get rid of you cars now. That 10% they are probably talking about is 10% of all 2g cars, not just the 2g turbo's. Do the math, 10% of all 2g cars, and only the turbo's were affected, and there were<U>many</U> more N/T's built than turbo's.......40% of turbo cars does seem pretty reasonable, right? C'mon kid...i've been right about everything else...quit giving me a hard time.</FONT></P>

Quick Reply: Which is best/any difference?