2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

Big roof problem

Old 12-01-2004, 02:48 PM
Default Big roof problem

So a few days ago Im driving in the rain and I realize that my roof was leaking, I take my car over to the dealer and they said I need new seals and they want 700 bux for em. Im like hell no. So I took my car back, I looked at my roof and I also realize the whole thing is fukked up. It doestn go in straight, the middle bar is messed up, all this other ****. Does anyone know where I can find a whole new roof for my spyder?. If you know a website that would be best thanks.

Old 12-01-2004, 03:04 PM
Default RE: Big roof problem

holy crap, one of the support braces are bent? Man that is pretty f'd up. I don't think the support braces have any aftermarket pieces available, so you'll be stuck either junkyard diving or having the dealer replace it. Unless you can remove the canvas top, and repair the middle bar, you're stuck. Also, which part of the roof is leaking? At the edges or anywhere in the middle of the roof? If it's at the middle, then the large inner seal is broken or torn. That may mean that something fell on the top when it was up and damaged it pretty badly. There is another thread here that deals with how to use either silicone sealant or rtv glue to repair the seals on the outside edges. I put a thin layer of WindoWeld on the factory outer seals of my spyder and that held up really good. But as for the support brace problem, the best thing you can do wait til spring/summer to fix it if you wanna do it yourself. Otherwise the dealer may be your only other option.

Old 12-02-2004, 04:21 AM

You can buy the canvas top just about anywhere. I think I saw one a while back either black or tan on ebay going for fairly cheap. What color are you looking for? Ill keep an eye out for you. The bar that you have bent is not cheap to repair. It usually bends if the motors go out and the top drops back down or if someone tries to force the top down with the motors still engaged.

Old 12-02-2004, 11:54 AM

Junkyard would probably be your cheapest/best bet to just get a whole new assembly.

Old 12-02-2004, 03:54 PM

I have a smiliar problem with my spyder. Mine is mainly the seals. The dealer quoted me $400 for the seals, so maybe I'd try another dealer. As for the top and inside liner, you can purchase those from topsonline.com. The stayfast canvas top is only $330 and the liner is $130. Not bad. I don't know what to say about the metal frame bars that go across. If you can't find anything on ebay, I'd say the junkyard or the dealer.

Old 12-03-2004, 02:08 AM

Speaking of the support braces on the top, I ran my fingers along the top of my car to feel if they were okay. I found that mine are not completely flat. In some areas they feel slightly bent as well. The tops goes down fine. I don't know, I guess if I had the top comletely off, then I would be able to access the braces better.

Old 12-04-2004, 03:28 PM

For the most part, the bars aren't completely smooth. They have a few hinges, i'm not sure if it's 2 or 3 hinges, that bend a little when the top is in operation. The support bars are pretty strong though, thick steel bars. The main weak point may be the hinges. If it's bent at the hinges, don't wory too much, just as long as it doesn't seize up. Once the top is in the up position, the hinges aren't really supporting the overlaying canvas to much, but the entire bar assembly will flex a bit. But you're right, if the canvas was completely off, you'd be able to see if it we're too bad or not.