2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

boost leak/ power/ idk

Old 11-03-2009, 11:13 PM
Default boost leak/ power/ idk

hey guys,, just got my Lower IC pipe from dejon,, installed it today and it made a heck of a difference, i most definatly have gotten rid of a large boost leak but im still not satisfied

i think this car has more to give and im not really the greedy type to think the car can do more then it actually can --

did a couple of 3rd gear pulls through the rpms with the gas petal to the floor and each time the boost gague was reading 12-13 ilbs ( i have an injen intake and a 3 inch down pipe )

got a friend whose a dsm freek and he s telling me i should be seeing about 15-16ilbs of boost with the mods i have

he got in and drove the car and told me the clutch felt real soft compared to his other eclipses ( this is my first eclipse so i have nothing to go off of )

he thought the clutch was going ( mind you the car has 45K on it )

before i put a new t25 turbo in there and messed around with the IC and its piping to clean the car -- it was pulling great with no issues

even after i put the new t25 turbo in the car it was pulling great -- but i needed to clean the IC because it was saturated with crap from the last turbo and the car hasnt been the same since i dickd with all the piping and the IC ( the IC piping was stock and probably never touched in the 15 years this car has been in existance )

and before i bought the car the guy before me took it to the track and made about 8 passes on it -- thus the blown turbo i had to replace to the car unfortunatly was beat on

soooooooooo my questions are basically -- do you think the clutch is slowly dieing and slipping causing the load on the motor and boost gague to drop??? is there anything i can do short of buying a new slave cyc?? like would bleeding it with some fresh hydrolic clutch fluid help me out??

my buddie told me the clutch systems on these cars can be touchy and the slave or some component could be dicking with my performance

he also said i should go with a exceedy slave if i replace it... good idea??

ps... im not getting a ton of black carbon on the back,, so my boost leak wasnt that bad to begin with and i dont think i have a vacume leak either -- theres just little to no carbon back there so shes not buring rich.. at least its not sticking to the rear bumper for me to see....

and btw i really dont drive this car hard guys,, im a poor college student and i have a gf thats 2 hrs away from me so gas mileage is what makes or breaks me lol -- i just would like to get this car running as well as i can

thanks for the ideas in advance

regards

Old 11-05-2009, 06:29 PM

any ideas guys?

Old 11-05-2009, 07:55 PM
Super Moderator

Your car is gonna run around 12psi w/o a mbc. Also have you done a boost leak test?

Old 11-06-2009, 06:18 AM
Super Moderator

I dont really understand the problem? You are running 12psi....that is fine, the mods you have wont make you run more than that without a MBC like DSM said. As far as the clutch its kinda hard to say because real soft doesnt mean there is a problem. It may just be that the kid hasnt used a stock clutch that has been worn. My stock clutch always felt soft because they have such a weak pressure plate. But are you actually having problems with it slipping during full boost? If thats the case then you need a new clutch.

As long as when you depress the pedal you get a good disengagement of the clutch and it grabs well when you release then i wouldnt worry about it.

Old 11-06-2009, 09:50 AM

have not done a boost leak test, kinda figured i fixed that with the lower IC pipe from Dejon but seeing as im still having issues im gonna go and buy the necessary parts DSM showed me earlier in a thread and do that --

MBC is a manual boost control i assume correct? and ya i have one but its not hooked up yet,, i was planning on getting the car running right before i do that

and if the stock clutch has a naturally weak pressure plate then i guess thats the nature of the animal,,, it is clearly disengaging and engaguing,, when i get all the boost leaks to go away then im sure the clutch will show its true life

thanks for the help guys

Old 11-06-2009, 06:19 PM
Super Moderator

Yea the stock clutches suck. Definetly plan to upgrade that once you start adding some power because it will begin to slip

Old 11-06-2009, 07:25 PM

made the boost leak tester today,, either going to hook it up to the tank back home on the 21 st or going to try to find a buddies down here at school -- appreciate the help guys and ya agreed on the stock clutch with its feel and the power potential

i do plan on eventaully going with a big g 16 turbo, bigger injectors, and a fuel pump

probably looking around 350 or so maybe a little higher on the hsp range -- thats all i want eventually out of this car -- especially with the all wheel drive and what not

what kind of clutch should i look into for that horsepower --

just a stage one street clutch or should i be looking into puckd clutchs??