2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

Car dies while driving

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2007, 11:32 PM
Default RE: Car dies while driving

no he's right... walk away... my car has pissed me off so many times.. hell when i ordered my greddy exhaust and it didn't fit i almost sold my car... but i didn't... and i'm happy... sometimes

Old 06-30-2007, 12:46 AM

The relays on the firewall are inexpensive, roughly about $10 for both the fuel pump relay and ASD relay. The cam and crank sensors are a bit more, around the $50-$100 bill. If you have a Haynes/Chilton's manual, it will help with troubleshooting the two sensors. The easiest way to find out is by eliminating the things that are in line with the things that get the motor started and things that keep it running.
The first thing you should always look for is spark, fuel, and compression. I don't think compression is it because your car dies while going down the street. That leaves fuel and spark. Spark is easy to find and so is fuel. Fuel you can just look at the plug for any signs of it being wet and spark just by removing one of them and setting it close to a metal bolt. You can even hear it while sitting in the car while cranking it. It'll make a real loud click sound as if you were discharging static electricity onto a door ****.
If one or both aren't present then it can be those relays or the PCM. I don't think it's the cam or crank because of the way you described your issue and how you can't even clutch start your car unless you turn the key to the off position (resetting either the PCM or relays) and then starting it. The crank and cam don't need to be reset, only to pick up it's intended signals.

Old 06-30-2007, 11:18 AM

My car did the same thing. I had an msd box and fuel adaptor I drove for moths and it was like a random shut off. I had those iteams removed and never had the problem again

Old 07-03-2007, 09:45 AM

Ok, so the car is misbehaving all over the place for my regular mechanic, and he suggests I take it to the auto electric shop a half mile down the road. No problem. I manage to get her down there, and would you believe she refuses to act up AT ALL for them??? Not even a hiccup. I think my car's ultimate goal is to make me go insane.

Old 07-03-2007, 10:27 AM

And the really frustrating thing is when she's not pulling her little stunt, she just purrrrrs, but she goes from purr to dead in nothing flat.

Old 05-24-2016, 07:35 PM
Default Entered the Mitsubishi triangle...

Car runs great, handles great, have always wanted one, bought one for a great deal, I know why... I have a 1995 eclipse gs, auto, 2.0. Fires right up, drives for a little while, then randomly dies. If it's idling for over 5 minutes I'm sure it will die, if I drive it farther than 5 miles, it will die. Could be at a red light or on a highway cruising at 70. All my accessories will stay on, Rps just redline and its done for. I have to shut it completely off, wait about a minute, and start it back up and I may or may not make it home without having to repeat the process. It's got new fuel filter, fuel pump, computer, battery, radiator, camshaft sensor, cleaned out throttle body, and I tried a new iac but it idled at 3500 rpms so I took that back.... Also fixed a vaccume leak. It still has a exhaust leak, she's got some rust and I pulled her out of the heart of Detroit, Michigan. So if anyone has any idea what it could be, please let me know. This post makes me go to the battery cables, I'll be tackling that this weekend for sure.

Old 05-31-2016, 10:06 PM

My guess would be the ignition coils.

Old 12-06-2018, 09:57 PM

I have the same problem on my 2000 Montero Sport, I've replaced fuel pump, fuel filter, timing belt, cam sensor, crank sensor, PCM Immolizer key switch, key, battery, wiring harness, fuel pump relay, and it still wont run right!, calling pick n pull