Go Back   Mitsubishi Forum - Mitsubishi Enthusiast Forums > Mitsubishi Models > Mitsubishi Eclipse & Eclipse Spyder > 2nd Generation
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Welcome to the Mitsubishi Forum - Mitsubishi Enthusiast Forums.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-12-2005, 07:34 PM

Default Carbon Build up

Hey guys whats the best/easiest way to clean the carbon outta the combustion chambers? Ive heard of letting them soak in mopar combustion chamber cleaner but was wondering if anyone had found another way of cleaning them. The reason i ask is i was cleaning my plugs today cause my mpg was suffering a little and decided to look inside while i could. three of the piston tops were flat black and the fourth or #1 piston was about half black and half of it i could see the top of the piston shining back at me. was just wondering what you guys thought. 98Gs-t w/108xxx miles
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on MitsubishiForum!
Old 11-12-2005, 08:39 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via ICQ to Sanguinius Send a message via AIM to Sanguinius Send a message via Yahoo to Sanguinius
Default RE: Carbon Build up

There are treatments that can clean some of it. bu I don't think you'll EVER get them ALL clean. I'd worry more about the carbon buildup around valves and seats then on the pistons.
Old 11-12-2005, 10:18 PM

Send a message via AIM to slow420a

sea foam
Old 11-12-2005, 10:27 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via ICQ to Sanguinius Send a message via AIM to Sanguinius Send a message via Yahoo to Sanguinius

Valveoline
Old 11-12-2005, 10:48 PM

Plain ol commercial decarb service kits can be used to introduce a chemical treatment into the intake while the engine is running to blow the carbon build up right out of the enhaust. It's best to do it when the engine is absolutely warmed up/hot. It is effective on most vehicles unless the carbon build up is super thick. I do this all the time at work especially with vehicles that fail smog due to high NOx emissions.

Good Luck!

Joel, CA

1992 3000GT VR4 & 1996 STEALTH RT/TT #47 *both tastefully modded*
Old 11-12-2005, 11:15 PM
Super Moderator

Yeah I used to use the Valvoline 3 part service kit. 1 part went into the gas the 2nd was a cleanser spray that decarboned the intake/butterfly valve, and the 3rd part was a chemical that went into the intake via the power brake vacuum line that cleans the valves and cylinders and gets all the crap blown out the back end. The final chemical takes a good 45 minutes running to go through and when you drive the car afterwards it's like crop dusting the area LOL... It leaves a HUGE cloud of smoke behind until the chemical is fully blown out of the system.
Old 11-13-2005, 03:35 PM

Where can i get something like that sang? Autoparts store of do i have to have the dealership do it for me?
Old 11-13-2005, 07:26 PM
Super Moderator

It will be something that will likely have to be done by a shop. It's a professional grade cleaner. You can get weaker cleaners that you use either on the intake or in the tank at the auto store but the 3rd part that gets sucked in by vacuum lines won't be available.
Old 11-13-2005, 09:52 PM

Thats what i figured but thankx anyways.... im not so worried about the pistons but that is just another sign of carbon build up on the valves and such.....oh well[&o]
Old 11-14-2005, 02:09 AM

Most shops charge one hours labor ON TOP of the actual part (roughly around $50 for parts). You should be able to purchase the part alone and do the labor yourself. You'll just need something to regulate the amount of the solvent that is ingested into the intake. Good Luck!

Joel, CA

1992 3000GT VR4 & 1996 STEALTH RT/TT #47 *both tastefully modded*
Old 11-14-2005, 02:09 AM

Tags
2004, buidup, build, carbon, chamber, clean, cleaner, combustion, eclipse, engine, gt, intake, mitsubishi, mitsubushi, whats