2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

center console removal

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2008, 06:24 PM
Default center console removal

so i have the knew shift lever thing and i dont know exactly how to take the center console out. i have been looking on vfaq and other site and im not finding how you would do it on a 2g? any help would be great or if you can point me in the right direction that would be awesome. also do you have to take the center console out in order to replace the shifter?

Old 04-21-2008, 06:43 PM
Default RE: center console removal

it's actually pretty easy, you have to take out the a/c cover panel, and there are some bolts underneath the cupholder area and such, and i think there are supposed to be some on the sides, and unscrew the shift ****, it should come out.

Old 04-21-2008, 07:12 PM

well i am one step up my shift **** doesnt stay on because the morons who had the car b4 me shortened it up and did the crapiest job ever. it has like bondo on it to make it smooth and is cracked its so ugly. so there isnt really a way to do it with the console where it is?

Old 04-21-2008, 07:16 PM

what exactly are you trying to do? im an expert in removing that **** already.... and btw i need a replacement so if you dont want it

Old 04-21-2008, 07:28 PM

yes you absolutely need to remove the center console before you replace your shifter... you need take off the big side pieces, then the a/c control bezel and there will be some screws under that, pop up the cup holder/ash tray and there are a couple of screws down there. Push your seats forward and you'll see a screw on both sides on the back of the console. Then you need to reach behind and unscrew the cigarette lighter and pull it through, then you need to unscrew the little light that's in the ashtray... it sounds really complicated, but it's really crazy easy, i've done it at least 15-20 times

Old 04-21-2008, 07:33 PM

^ you saved me lots of typing time haha

Old 04-21-2008, 07:59 PM

haha im just sitting here watchin the cavs game with a bunch of guys in my dorm, was kinda bored and figured what the hell

Old 04-21-2008, 08:22 PM

yeah it's easy, i don't have like half of the screws in there, just the two underneath the ashtray lol.

Old 04-21-2008, 08:32 PM

^Rofl! partnah!!! haha... im missing half of them as well.... the problem is i know where they are.... on the ashtray -_-, i found them later when everything was done

Old 04-21-2008, 09:02 PM

you guys rock. i am going to save this post as soon as i can get a shift *** to put on my new shifter that rob sent me. the current one i have is toast if thats what you were asking for? im not gutting my car to get rid of the center console i intend to put it back once im done.

Quick Reply: center console removal