2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

compatible engines

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2011, 11:16 PM
Default compatible engines

I have a 95 eclipse gs coupe 2.0 L 4 cylinder non turbo and it doesnt have enough umph lol i been looking around and cant find what engines r compatible w my car. Any idea where i can find the info?

Old 01-29-2011, 06:49 PM

Compatible engines with in a reasonable means (not cutting into the fire wall and some serious body modifications) would be the 420a that's already in it, either waste your money and boost the motor or buy another car perhaps the 4g63 boosted eclipse.

Old 01-30-2011, 04:19 PM

I was thinkin of just goin the new car route but i had a time finding this one (not very common canada side) and ive already sunk 3k into it aside from what the last owner did that wasnt moronic *sigh*. But i would rather work with what i got then bail. Any suggestions for HP otherwise? (Excluding a turbo if possible, cops r all over that round here and theyll rip it to pieces lookin for anythin they can bust me on.)

Old 02-02-2011, 12:33 AM

Stroke it! ...the engine that is. If I'm remembering, they go for about $1300.

And turboing isn't a waste of money, you can do it for cheaper than a new eclipse... also if I remember correctly. Sub $2000. You pretty much end up with a GS-T by the end. haha

Do you have REALLY strict road laws? Because I'm almost positive that they won't be able to bust you on anything.

Good luck man

Old 02-02-2011, 05:17 PM

Its not that i cant afford the turbo, i dont want 1. They're distinctively loud, and a reason for a cop to look twice. This is my street car so it needs to b discrete... well at least as discrete as it is now.

Old 02-02-2011, 07:24 PM

I personally don't know, but I've heard from a lot of people that a turbo'd car is quieter than it's N/A counterpart. The turbo apparently makes for a great muffler. Which is why you can much more easily get away (decibel wise) with straight piping a turbo (in lieu of a cat) than you can an N/A, which would be hella loud without a cat and stuff. This is what I've read anyway. And if you don't give a reason for the cop to look ONCE, then there's nothing to worry about. Regardless...

This is taken from another DSM/Mitsu site. I can give more details if need be... but without further ado:

Swaps that work in a 2gNT DSM:

The shortblock from the 96-99 DOHC Neon is identical to that in the 2gnt. The head is backwards, and will thus require the head from a 2gnt, Avenger, or Sebring.

The 96-99 SOHC Neon block is the same, but uses dished pistons which will lower compression if used. Requires 2gnt/Avenger/Sebring head.

95 Neon SOHC bare blocks have vents hole cut into a shelf on the side of the block, these will need to be plugged for any 2gnt use.

95 420a and D4RE blocks have an offset bearing notch in the main web. A new notch should be cut if you wish to use the common 96+ main bearings, otherwise you could use two sets of 96+ bearings.

The 95-99 4cylinder Avenger and Sebring has the same deluxe longblock as the 2gnt. This is a direct swap.

The 2.4L from Cloud cars is very doable, and can fit with a little modification. More 2.4L swap info can be had courtesy of our friends at 2GNT.com - home.

Swaps that do not work in a 2gNT DSM:

Nobody has tastefully completed a SRT-4 engine swap, it has been measured to not fit well. If you think you will be the first, just do it, then tell us how.*1

The DSM 4g63/4 requires a lot of fabrication and rewiring to fit. The consensus from those who know is that it is not worth it. Take our word for it.

The Evo 8 4g63 faces the right way, but requires a lot of fabrication and rewiring to fit. The consensus from those who know is that it is not worth it. Take our word for it.*2

The 6g72 requires a lot of fabrication and rewiring to fit. The consensus from those who know is that it is not worth it. Take our word for it.

The 2JZGTE, RB26DETT, VQ37, K24, B16, SBC, P&W R-4360, &c... will not fit without ridiculous fabrication and wiring. Don't ask us how to do it - we just don't know.

I think your best bet is to work with what you have. Intake/Exhaust/Header. I've heard really good things about the AF/X ECU from Howell Auto. You can port everything. Cams if you want. Intake Mani, throttle body, etc. The 420a isn't a bad platform, it just takes more work to get a lot of horsepower, whereas with a turbo, it's cheaper/easier (more to go wrong though...the turbo guys say DSM stands for Doesn't Start Monthly ).

Hope this helps.
Ethan.

Old 02-04-2011, 07:23 PM

If your so against boosting the car (I don't understand why you would and a turbo isn't that loud. Most likely your thinking of blow off valves) About the only thing you can do to the 420a motor is to port and polish the head stroke the block, put in some new cams, larger throttle body and injectors and do a tune on the car, when its all said and done though, it really isn't worth it compared to the 4g63 eclipse the 420a neon motor will never compare to the satisfaction of the 4g63. and if you want to be discreet get rid of the 2 door coupe my friend and buy an SUV not trying to be mean but the gst or gsx eclipse would definitely be a better buy if you decide to search for one, try to find one where someone has done a 6 bolt swap into it it'll save ya the worry of crank walk on down the road.

Old 02-05-2011, 02:38 PM

I know the turbo itself is quiet but the blow off valve is the dead give away. And ya, cops crack down here, its a bit of a street racin/shows kinda area, and tickets pay their salary lol (plus im related to some cops who give me the do and donts of avoiding cops, if their about to go huntin, i know to get off the road) ive ready been stopped and had cop ask me to pop the hood. Granted he cant make me open up, but its easy for them to get around that.

And thanx for the list nd advice

Old 02-05-2011, 02:54 PM

The best way i can say it is this is more of a show car then racin, but it cant b all bark no bite. I knew wen i went lookin for an eclipse it would never b a great racer unless i was rebuilding it damn near from scratch. Ive just been lookin for ways to give it "pull up to the light and rev" power. Not lookin to set times lol

Old 02-05-2011, 08:55 PM

Then just get some bigger injectors higher performance ignition system and a tune there ya go if your not to serious about building the car that would be a simple way to get some more power out of your Neon motor.

Quick Reply: compatible engines