2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

Do not understand flashing trouble codes

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2009, 07:29 PM
Default Do not understand flashing trouble codes

Sorry for posting this, but I am trying to make any sense out of trouble codes flashes on my son's 95 Eclipse GS

I have following sequences:
1 2
3 6
2 1
5 5

I triple checked and I have same sequences every time. Problem is, I can not find any equivalent to those in Haynes manual. Charts I have there, though saying 1995-98 engines, are P codes, and have 4 digits in them(look like OBDII codes on 95 model?).

What am doing - or looking at - wrong?hdamn:

Most appreciated. We had CEL on for about 6 mths and I just replaced O2 sensor in the exhaust manifold.

Also, on a curiosity note - why this car does not have anything that even looks like MAF sensor? We had 94 before, and there was one right there, in the intake hose. this one - filter and throttle body, no sensors, no nothing, just curved rubber hose that connects the two.

Old 03-23-2009, 09:59 AM
Super Moderator

How are you retreiving these codes? By the key method. You are better off just getting it scanned at autozone or something and get true OBD2 codes from it. But since you already did it this way here is what its saying

12 = Power has been disconnected within that 50 cylces (nothing to worry about, just means the battery was disconnected)

36 = P0412 Pulsed secondary air injection solenoid circuit

21 = Upstream O2 sensor problem - could be a couple different types of OBD2 codes. Either bad 02 sensor, wire, or harness i guess. Since you already replaced the sensor i would say maybe a harness corossion or something along those lines

55 = end of codes

I think 36 and 21 maybe be related but im not really 100% on that.
And for your future reference http://www.2gnt.com/www/files/pcmcode.htm
Hope this helps

Oh and to answer your question on the MAF sensor. The 420a engine runs of a MAP sensor instead.

Last edited by TheEngineer; 03-23-2009 at 10:05 AM.
Old 03-23-2009, 03:51 PM

this helped GREATLY

1. no one will scan pre-OBDII car in parts stores. I have OBDII scanner, plugs don't match.

2. yes, I had battery disconnected to reset CEL, so not worried about this.

3. "36 = P0412 Pulsed secondary air injection solenoid circuit" what the hey does this mean?

4. well, O2 sensor replaced came with brand spanking new harness all the way to the main connector.... so you say it might be bad connector in the main harness? I'll run some electric parts cleaner through it. I sealed everything with dielectric grease the very moment I had it replaced.

OK, I did some snooping around, and on this "36 = P0412 Pulsed secondary air injection solenoid circuit" do I, basically, remove the PAIR valve and run good cleanr through it? I had Galant before and had to clean EGR routinely, sounds like same thing to me.

Last edited by ukrkoz; 03-23-2009 at 04:10 PM.
Old 03-23-2009, 06:49 PM
Super Moderator

Yea it could be. The o2 maybe throwing the code because of the readings its getting and a clogged EGR would curtianly cause o2 codes. I guess its something easy to try.

Im suprised your car doesnt have an OBD2 port. I know when i had my 95 talon AWD it had the OBD2 port. But maybe the GS is different.

Old 03-23-2009, 09:11 PM

no, it has something that LOOKS like OBD2. very similar, but standard scanner won't fit.

I have removed the PAIR valve - pulsed air recirculation - and to my taste, it is shot. it was full of water - ??? - and gunk. Shucks does not have it, I'll get new one from dealership then. It is feeding pulses of fresh air into exhaust, promoting complete burnout of unburnt fuel, so I'd imagine it might throw O2 out of kilter.

Old 03-24-2009, 08:40 AM
Super Moderator

You could just leave it out. I think that they actually stopped putting them on the cars after 95 because of the problems it gave.

Old 03-24-2009, 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by TheEngineer
You could just leave it out. I think that they actually stopped putting them on the cars after 95 because of the problems it gave.
ok, i can do that. those are told to notoriously collect water from exhaust and then, winter time, it freezes and blows valve fuse. fine with me.
my question is - I'll have to plug the "to the exhaust" hose, which is not a problem, plug a hole in the air filter box, which is not a problem, but what do I do about the CEL? As we want to sell the car, and that light won't go away.

Old 03-24-2009, 10:50 AM
Super Moderator

you just have to go to the dealer and they can reflash the ECU so that it doesnt think its supposed to have that solenoid. I think it was even on a TSB on this. So the dealer should know what your talking about

Old 03-24-2009, 11:30 AM

will try. appreciate your help.

Old 03-24-2009, 12:36 PM

ok, it is not that easy. dealership can go back in time only until 98 on TSBs.
I need to know the TSB number to tell them so that they can find the right software to reflash ECM.
Part is called Secondary Air Valve, and it was Dodge's bright idea implanted into those cars. Part is $372. piece of frigging plastic with a rubber diaphragm in it.
Better yet, dealership now tells me that the car will not pass emissions, as this is emission part/code.
so, NOW, i am open to practical solutions. i mean - i can yank the CEL light bulb out, but if they'll read the codes on the station, we are at no choice with buying that part.

Quick Reply: Do not understand flashing trouble codes