Bulletin Sequence Number: 27
Date of Bulletin: 9607
NHTSA Item Number: SB049048
Make: MITSUBISHI
Model: ECLIPSE
Year: 1995

Component: FUEL:FUEL INJECTION:UNKNOWN TYPE

Summary:
IMPROPER OPERATION OF 2ND AIR INJECTION SOLENOID MAY CAUSE DTC 51 TO SET IN THE ECM

Old 03-24-2009, 01:17 PM

yes, partial bulletin is below:

-----Question-----
I am trying to repair a CEL on my 95 eclipse. The code is 36(pulsed secondary air injection). This was supposed to have been recalled for the 95 eclipse with a manual trans and removed from the 96 and newer models with the non turbo engine. Some how i got one that still has this code in the computer and I need to know how to repair this or to clear it so this code doesn't come back. Can you please help me with this?
-----Answer-----
Hi James,

Here is the pertinent info on that TSB. Though it is not a recall.

NO.: TSB-96-17-002

DATE: July, 1996

MODEL: 1995 Eclipse

SUBJECT:
DIAGNOSTIC TROUBLE CODE 51

PURPOSE
Improper operation of the secondary air injection solenoid may cause Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) 51 to set in the ECM. If DTC 51 is read with the scan tool, the secondary air injection solenoid and possibly its wiring harness and connector may have corrosion contamination. Perform the following diagnosis procedures:

- Check the operation of the secondary air injection solenoid as described in this bulletin. Install a new, improved secondary air injection solenoid if necessary.

- Inspect the solenoid connector and wiring harness for corrosion. If necessary, repair the connector and/or harness using a newly available repair kit listed in the PARTS INFORMATION section of this bulletin.

AFFECTED VEHICLES
1995 Eclipse non turbo charged models produced before 6/1/95

Seems there is a bad connect problem with many of these. I would check this first. Clean and reconnect the pigtail.

As for the code 36, it is the same thing. Shows to be an open circuit to the secondary air injection solenoid. Check your connections. I think your find the problem there.

with all this being said, I am still open to suggestions, how to FIX that part. 400 bucks for it is out of question.

Old 03-24-2009, 04:23 PM
Super Moderator

well from what i have seen the dealer is supposed to fix the CEL for you after removing the part.

Old 03-24-2009, 10:12 PM

well, from what I have seen here, dealerships can't even go back into 1996 to pull TSB, best they can do is 98. That, basically, sums up their "free" involvement. All Mitsubishi dealerships here are owned by Younker family, so not much I can get anywhere.

I'll come up with something. Not on my book for a piece of plastic with rubber diaphragm and tiny solenoid to mess up my cars so much.

Old 03-29-2009, 02:16 PM

I got it fixed. As usual, it was combination of silly little things. Good I did not buy any ECUs, he-he.
Anyways, yesterday, I was replacing valve cover gasket, a notorious leaker on Mitsubishes.
Same time, cleaned EGR (full of crap, as usual, even at just 70K miles).
While I was on it, I pulled that secondary air valve out again. Basically, it has a solenoid operated diaphragm that opens by solenoid and lets some air back into exhaust in pulsating manner, that's why it is also called PAIR valve - pulsating air injection recirculation.
You can see diaphragm edge through the pipe that goes towards the air filter box. I, simply, pried its edge up and dropped a screw into the hole, to jam the diaphragm slightly open. When we started the engine, and I placed my hand on the hose running from valve to exhaust, I could feel definite pulsation in it, telling me that we have air stream.
CEL stayed.
Well, I was checking on possible oil leaks around the cover gasket today - and, to my surprise, found that O2 sensor plug disconnected itself from the harness. Clip that was supposed to secure it in place was already missing. Now, it is all securely tight together with g'ol duct tape.
CEL IS GONE.

Old 03-31-2009, 11:04 AM
Super Moderator

hhaha, its always the simplest of things.

So going all the way back to my original post (of the Codes the 21 code says bad o2, wiring, or harness) i guess that was actually right, haha. Just not how we thought

Old 03-31-2009, 12:39 PM

and you are triple right, as it came back 2 days down the road - 21 and 36. i had the damn plug cleaned straight and sidewise, and packed with dielectric greese - it's still there.
our 94 eclipse did same. we had one loose wire in throttle position sensor that did not like humid weather - and car won't start.
ok, practical question. can I replace the O2 connector? by getting one off junk yard and splicing it in? my worry is, because it's such a small current, will it influence readings somehow?

Old 04-14-2009, 08:58 PM

OK< now we have a BIG PROBLEM. MPG dropped down almost 100 miles per tankful.

I just checked codes, it is still flashing 12-36-21-55. Which my understanding is that 21 is O2 sensor and 36 is that PAIR valve I've been fighting with.
I had nice chat with local dealership today, and it is worth being nice to sales people, once in a while. Guy offered me both parts - the RIGHT O2 sensor and PAIR valve - for $275 each. Otherwise, O2 is $320 pre tax, and $420 for the valve.
I'll buy them one at a time. What do you think will fix the mileage - O2 or PAIR valve? I just can't imagine that valve causing such a huge drop in mpg. I can return O2 from Shucks no problem, I am regular.
The only other things that were done same time was replace valve cover gasket (all lines and hoses and connectors are back in place, I double checked) and clean EGR.
Am I missing something else? 100 miles per tank is a lot of mpg drop..... Car drives fine, starts and moves like nothing happened.

needed to mention: that CEL was up for quite a long time, and mpg was about right - around 27-28. Until I replaced the O2 sensor and started fooling with PAIR valve. Unfortunately, old O2 is gone, can't re-install it back.

Last edited by ukrkoz; 04-14-2009 at 09:02 PM.