2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

Floorboards soaking wet??

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2007, 06:13 PM
Default Floorboards soaking wet??

I have a problem with the floorboards of my Eclipse getting wet, I've tried to figure out what the problem is but it is totally blowing my mind. The only thing that is wet is my floorboards like I said, my seats aren't wet and neither is my headliner. The sides of my carpet is even dry. Right now I've got the car over at a local shop to get the carpet dried out and they were going to try to figure out what the problem is but they couldn't figure anything out either so they called Mitsubishi and supposedly what has happened is the seals around the evaporator for the heating and air has gone bad and anytime that the heater or air conditioning is ran the evaporator can't evaporate the water so it leaks on the inside of my car, and anytime the car is driven in the rain, the water that slings up from the tires also leaks into the car. Mitsubishi says it's a common problem in 2003 models, but I've never heard of this problem before. So my question is if anybody else has had this particular problem, and if so is there any other easy way of fixing it besides having to take the complete dash out??

Old 12-30-2007, 02:35 PM
Default RE: Floorboards soaking wet??

Yeah exactly! Im having the same problem but its my rear seat floor that is soaked. Im thinking of cutting the crapet out just enough that I can cover the hole with carper mat, then drilling tiny holes in the floor board to release water. Good idea? I did this before on my mercury sable in the trunk after a accident caused the trunk not to close all the way.

This sucks.

It seems as though my front floor is wet. The side of the carpet isnt wet though. I really want to get rid of all the crapet now. Will this make it louder inside while driving ?

Old 12-30-2007, 02:59 PM

heater core's bad, replace it

Old 12-30-2007, 03:37 PM
Super Moderator

most likely it has to do with the heater core which is pretty much like the dealership is saying. Ive also heard that clogged lines will cause this as well. Does this only happen when it rains?

Old 12-30-2007, 06:18 PM

well ...
its a posibility....
but .. do you have a sun roof ??? an did you check your flood plugs ???
i seen them rotted out of several vechicles especially in high humidity and where they use salt in the winter.