2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

hood not opening

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2007, 07:58 PM
Default hood not opening

my buddy has a second gen rs and the hood will not open. we pulled the hood latch inside the car and checked thecable and it is not broke on that end. we can hear something under the hood moving around when we pull the latch but it wont pop open. also he has about 400 miles before he needs his oil changed. is there anything we can doo to get his hood open? anything would be help. thanks

Old 05-25-2007, 08:08 PM
Default RE: hood not opening

Welcome Meatball. It seems everyone has a friend but their friends never sign up, lol.
Anyway, have you two tried pulling the hood lever while the other pulls up on the hood? The hood stops on the corners could be too low to provide any tension or they could just be worn...or missing. So, the hood may need some help.

Old 05-25-2007, 09:51 PM

Have your friend hold the release and hit the center of the hood with your fist where the latch is at.
That should do it.
After its open, grease the latch.

Old 05-25-2007, 10:51 PM

yeah i tried pulling on it while he pulled the hood latch. didnt try hitting it though. ill get back with him tommorrow and try that. if it doesnt work an other suggestions? is this a common thing?

Old 05-26-2007, 12:58 AM

Have your buddy pull the latch inside the car. You can listen for the noise the hood latch make when it's pulled. If you don't hear anything, the cable is no longer working.
Have either of you looked under the dash to make sure the cable is physically attached to the lever? I mean the little ball at the end of the cable, not just the cable mounted to the latch.
The lever has it's own spring to come back after it's pulled, so you can't rely on the cable being connected without actually looking.

Old 05-26-2007, 10:39 AM

yes the cable is attached to the lever. and we can hear something where the hood latch is under the hood when he pulls the lever. so yeah the cable is attached to the lever inside the car.

Old 05-26-2007, 11:42 AM

just sounds like the latch is binding.
hit it w/ your side fist while he holds the latch.

Old 05-26-2007, 02:28 PM
Banned

Have someone sit right where the latch is... then pull the lever and it should open

Old 05-26-2007, 04:52 PM

ORIGINAL: Sebba

Have someone sit right where the latch is... then pull the lever and it should open
That's all I can think of too. If the connection is good and the latch is making the "I'm releasing" noise, then you guys should be able to just pull up on the hood.

I know you guys are probably doing this, but I'm going to say it so that it's free and clear and without doubts.....
The person inside has to pull the lever and hold it in the pulled position. The person outside needs to pull up on the hood to get the hood's pirate loop to clear the hood's pirate hook arm that has an extention that is used to help fully clear the pirate hook from the pirate loop.

Are you guys moving that release lever (on the outside of the car) to the left and then pulling up?
Is the hood popping up but you guys can't get the hood freed from the hook? Is that what's happening?

Old 05-26-2007, 04:58 PM
Banned

No pulling up wont help it.. you need to take the load off the hook so it can release...

Quick Reply: hood not opening