2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

Increasing Boost

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2006, 10:20 PM
Default Increasing Boost

I recently installed IC piping, greddy BOV, intake and guages in my 98 gst. I have a manual boost controller set to 10 psi. However, when I run the car at high rpm and boost, I get to a point where the car just goes dead. It feels like a bomb has gone off. Its prtty brutal. Has anyone experienced anything like this? The thing is it doesn't happen all the time. I'm just running 10 psi so I dont think that its too much boost. First I thought it was a clutch thing, but if it was a clutch the car would continue to rev but it doesn't. It feels like something blocks the intake at that very moment, then it releases. Very strange - very scary in fact. Anyone know anything about it?

Old 04-23-2006, 10:24 PM
Banned
Default RE: Increasing Boost

Thats very odd... so odd i dont even know how to answer it with even a possible diagnosis. Isnt that what its like to hit fuel cut?

Old 04-23-2006, 10:43 PM

Thats exactly what it could be. As you mention that it feels exactly like that! Does that just mean I need fuel upgrades? Anyone else?

Old 04-23-2006, 11:00 PM

from what emonz describes fuel cut as being, that sounds like you are definately hitting fuel cut. You may be running more boost than you think...

Old 04-23-2006, 11:03 PM

that should never happen at 10 psi. either you are running more boost than you think, or you have a fuel system problem.

Old 04-23-2006, 11:07 PM
Super Moderator

my guess....its fuel cut...but the guage isnt reading correctly..your problably running higher boost then you think

Old 04-23-2006, 11:08 PM

ORIGINAL: Jeffisdecentttttt

from what emonz describes fuel cut as being, that sounds like you are definately hitting fuel cut. You may be running more boost than you think...
That is most def. fuel cut. feels like you hit a brick wall or something. I bet your running more than 10PSI maybe your leaking boost is my guess since you installed all the new parts that the charge flows threw. Check for boost leaks through out the pipeing then maybe do a fuel pump and open the screw on the MBC as much as possible to lower PSI a little more.

There is no SES light on right?

Old 04-24-2006, 12:03 AM

No there are no SES lights on. We ran the boost wire from the MBC and the guage works great when I'm going down the road. I accelerate and the needle corresponds with the stock gauge. Is this the correct way to run the boost pressure wire? It reads 10 psi. But I was just driving the car a little while ago and I def have a leak. I reach up to about 4000 rpm and then I hear like a depressurise sound coming from the engine. So I think its def a leak I have to fix. Would this fix the fuel cut off prob or is that another problem?

Old 04-24-2006, 12:36 AM

ORIGINAL: mtalma

No there are no SES lights on. We ran the boost wire from the MBC and the guage works great when I'm going down the road. I accelerate and the needle corresponds with the stock gauge. Is this the correct way to run the boost pressure wire? It reads 10 psi. But I was just driving the car a little while ago and I def have a leak. I reach up to about 4000 rpm and then I hear like a depressurise sound coming from the engine. So I think its def a leak I have to fix. Would this fix the fuel cut off prob or is that another problem?

When you fix the leak, your boost gauge will probably show that youre running higher than 10 psi. You will then lower your mbc, and then you're good.

15 is the highest you should run your boost on stock fuel safely btw...

Old 04-24-2006, 01:56 AM

My boost gauge is TEEd off of a VAC line on the intake manifold. I wouldnt want my boost line run all the way up to near the turbo and waiste gate that is further away from the guage and may cause a faulse reading(probly not though)

you are lickly running higher than 10PSI but the pressure is being leaked out is my guess. I would find the leak then watch your gauge and adjust accordingly

Quick Reply: Increasing Boost