2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

Just saved this from the junkyard.

Old 05-16-2016, 11:51 AM
Default Just saved this from the junkyard.

I just bought a 97 spyder non-turbo automatic for what the junker would pay.

Its got nice tires and rims, the interior will look good after a heavy clean.
Most everything works but the trans.
Engine purrs like a kitten.

The trans fluid smells burnt and is dark.
He said he parked it after the trans stopped working over a year ago. He said that driving the car with the overdrive turned it off was the cause.
He also said he got a quote to repair for $400 with the part costing $75 but doesnt remember what it was. Thinks it was the OVerdrive switch on the transmission.

I took it to a buddies transmission shop and he said the fluid was burnt and I needed a new trans...
Thanks...

It doesn;t go into gear or try to go into gear when shifted.
The only thing it does is make a very slight grating noise in neutral.

My plan was to do a complete fluid swap with Amsoil synthetic (this fluid got me 60k more miles out of a blown honda trans) and check out the sensors. Because the guy said the previous mechanic was going to replace a $75 part. I thought that might be one of the sensors.

Does anyone have any insight into this one?

Thanks in advance and please hold the snarky remarks. I really don't like them.

Old 05-16-2016, 04:28 PM

Your last line is pretty snarky if you ask me.

I would get another 1-2 opinions from different shops. Some places simply don't want to get "into it" - and I don't blame them. If it were my car - I would get a trans for about $600 installed, with a lifetime warranty, and forget about it. Why complcate things?

Maybe it's just a $400 switch repair for now, but then it will be something else next, and a second $400 repair.

Last edited by The Silent Seed; 05-16-2016 at 04:31 PM.
Old 05-17-2016, 06:17 AM

Originally Posted by The Silent Seed
Your last line is pretty snarky if you ask me.

I would get another 1-2 opinions from different shops. Some places simply don't want to get "into it" - and I don't blame them. If it were my car - I would get a trans for about $600 installed, with a lifetime warranty, and forget about it. Why complcate things?

Maybe it's just a $400 switch repair for now, but then it will be something else next, and a second $400 repair.
Sorry, Often when I join forums and often the first thing that happens is a get railed for asking a question that is obvious to everyone but me.
the worst was VW vortex... OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! unbelievable. Three page cornholing to newbies on a regular basis.

Where are you getting a trans installed for $600? Where are you located?
Also, based on my description... does it sound like a switch? Which switch?
It looks like the AT sensor that goes often is the speed control and it looks like it is pretty easy...
I do work myself, but also know when not to do it.
Advise please..

Old 05-17-2016, 09:12 AM

I know what you mean for sure! Most forums are like that unfortunately.

I have ZERO idea - All I know is that when my Volvo needed a trans, I just stopped at the local AAMCO place and they said that for most cars, they can get one for that price (Not for the Volvo, though, which would be $900) - He said that he can put in a BRAND NEW Hyundai tranny for $600 installed, with a lifetime warranty. I can't imagine that an used / rebuilt Mitsu trans would be any higher than that. (I actually ended up replacing the Volvo with my Outlander instead of fixing the Volvo.)
I'm in Massachusetts - and it probably does differ from shop to shop.