2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

my eclipse REALY WANTS TO START.. BUT DONT..

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2007, 05:01 PM
Default RE: my eclipse REALY WANTS TO START.. BUT DONT..

Those relays are pretty cheap, so replacing them shouldn't be an issue. I've got a FAQ on the firewall relays for the N/A guys. To sum it up, swap them out with regualar Bosch 5 pin relays from Radio Shack, Autozone, etc.
Give that a try and get back with us.

Old 06-27-2007, 06:30 PM

alright thanks...

Old 06-28-2007, 03:11 PM

u think it could be the crank sensor again? like maby with teh bad wires it Fried it? and mabye the CAM sensor?

Old 06-28-2007, 11:44 PM

alright is it true that wihle i crank the engine my rpm's shuold go up some?? and if they dont its a bad crank sensor?? cause mine dont move while im cranking it.. so mabye my new crank sensor got fried from the bad wireing harness? mabye grounded wire??

Old 07-02-2007, 02:12 AM

alright well today i went out and tested for spark myself... from left to right it went like this... first one had spark, 2nd one DID NOT have spark " swaped Wire out" still had NO SPARK, 3rd had Weak spark, 4th one had spark.... can this be the problem? is it a bad coil pack, distributer, what? and u think my CAT CONV.. can be clogged?

Old 07-02-2007, 07:10 AM

Sounds like a power transistor or coilpack.
A cam or crank sensor would produce no spark if either or both were bad. They only produce motor timing for the ECU. Now, if you have burnt wires, they need to be redone with good wires. Burnt wires mean that there can be arcing issues which can produce erroneous signals to the ECU.
A power transistor or coilpack would give the issue you have now. Check the connections first.
As for the RPM question, I'm not sure, I'll have to look at mine...never really paid attention to it really, lol. I'll check tomorrow, but that still doesn't mean that you won't get a signal.
But I really don't think the tach will jump or move any until the motor is running anyway...but I'll check tomorrow (later on today) and get back with you on this, unless one of the other guys get to this before I post again.

Old 07-02-2007, 02:25 PM

silvercoup= yea um.. well i took my coil pack and tried to get it tested but they said they cant.. But if its a crank sensor or CAm sensor.. would that cause a spark in like 2 of them and no spark in one and a weak spark in another?>?? my wires are good... but i realy hope its not the coill pack cause i have a msd one.. and dont realy wannna downgrade back to stock.. and not sure were to get another msd without ordering online... and dont realy wannna spend alot more on msd than a $78 stock one..... But yea idk plz let me know.. cause iv had several people say that the Rpm tac shuold move some.... But what should i check sence i have this spark problem? and how? thanks alot silvercoup

Old 07-02-2007, 04:54 PM

You should have a power transistor, I would imagine that to be giving you spark issues. The cam and crank would give you all or none. I looked at my tach today and mine doesn't move until the motor starts. Makes sense since the tach is electrically connected and not manually. That means that it won't get a signal until the ECU sees it then the ECU sends the translated info to the tach. The ECU gets the raw info.

Here's some info on the MSD and "how" to troubleshoot it...not very comprehensive, but then you can relate the rest with the Chilon's manual.
The following procedure will determine if the ignition is producing a spark.
1. Make sure the ignition switch is in the “Off” position.
2. Remove the spark plug wires and spark plugs from the engine. With the spark plugs inserted in
the end of the plug wires, lay the spark plugs against ground.
3. Disconnect the MSD trigger wire (Green, White, Yellow or Violet) from the ignition amplifier harness.
4. Turn the ignition to the On position. Do not crank the engine.
5. Tap one of the trigger wires to ground several times. Each time you pull the wire from ground, a
spark should jump across the spark plugs. If spark is present, the ignition is working properly.
Repeat the test for each coil. If there is no spark procede to step 6.
6. If there is no spark:
A. Inspect all of the wiring.
B. Substitute another coil and repeat the test. If there is now spark, the coil is at fault.
C. If there is still no spark, check to make sure there is 12 volts on the small Red wire from the MSD
when the key is in the On position. If 12 volts is not present, find another switched 12 volt source
and repeat the test.
NOTE: Some vehicles will require cranking the engine to provide +12V to the MSD Ignition Red
wire.
D. After following the test procedures and inspecting all of the wiring there is still no spark, the
MSD Ignition is in need of repair. See the Warranty and Service section for information.
RETURNING TO STOCK IGNITION
To return the ignition system back to standard operation simply unplug the MSD Digital DIS control
cable and insert the supplied jumper plug into the cable connector. If using aftermarket low resistance
coils, they must be replaced with the original factory coils. Note: If any tach/fuel injector adapters
were added to the vehicle harness the adapters must be disconnected before reverting back to the
stock ignition.
LED MONITOR
The MSD Digital DIS Ignition is equipped with an LED monitor. The LED will light every time there is
a spark. At above idle speeds, it may appear to be on continuously.
If the LED begins to flash erratically, it is indicating that there is a problem. The battery supply voltage
may be getting to low for full power operation, or a coil positive wire may be grounded.
Here's the original PDF.
http://www.msdignition.com/pdf/frm25...2/frm25956.pdf
I copied that for you because I think I remember that you have dial up and that pdf is 1.31mb.

Again, I believe it to be either the coil or it's power source. The coilpack runs in two's, 1-4 and 2-3 I believe, which just happens to be your two acting up coils (2-3). Follow me?

Old 07-02-2007, 10:53 PM

silvercoup- yea thanks.. i have dial up lol, cant have high speed aroud here... but yea im catching that.. yea the front coil pack has 2, 3, the two that act up.. so is there a way to replace that or do i just gotta do 1,2,3,4... cause its like all one big block lol... but thanks alot for help.. um i realy wish i had another eclipse to like swap out my parts and see whats bad.. caues i cant buy parts then return so ill be wasting money if it dont work. U think that will mess up another car if i do that?? thnaks alot and plz let me know any more help if u here some thanks-chris

Old 07-03-2007, 01:33 PM

thanks for help all its realy appreciated.. any more help??

Quick Reply: my eclipse REALY WANTS TO START.. BUT DONT..