2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

Piston rings? or valve seals

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2005, 08:45 PM
Default Piston rings? or valve seals

Ok I just had the valve stem fields gaskets replaced on my 99 gst. Then it was still running around 500 rpms so I went to change the plugs and cylinder 1's plug was soaked with oil. All the other plugs looked ok. what could be the problem? Is it piston rings or what I want to get this problem fixed but I need to know how much it will cost to fix the piston rings and what else should I upgrade or replace while I am in there.

Old 07-22-2005, 11:17 AM
Default RE: Piston rings? or valve seals

You'll want to do an compression test. Go to walmart and buy a compression tester.. it's only like $22 and you could probably return it after you are done (if that's your cup of tea)...

Follow the instructions with the kit (basically, make sure the battery is charged really well, take out all of the plugs, stick in the tester and find your compression)... If your compression is bad on any of your cylinders, then you have a ring problem or a valve problem. Stick some oil into the low compression cylinder(s) -- like 2 spoonfulls -- and test the compression on that cylinder again (using the oil in the cylinder is called doing a "wet test")... the oil helps to seal the rings... If compression goes up after testing with the oil...then you have a ring problem... if it doesn't change, then you have a valve problem..

This link explains it in better detail:

http://www.dsmgrrrl.com/FAQs/compression.htm

Old 08-01-2005, 08:00 PM
Default RE: Piston rings? or valve seals

Ok well The problem dosnt seem to be getting any better. In fact now when I turn the AC on if I dont push on the gas the car stalls. This is a BIG problem since I live in Florida. Before I have the valve seals redone I got a compression test done at the dealers and they told me to replace the lifters and valve stems and that everything else looked fine. Can any one Plaese help me with the problem. How much am I looking at to replace the piston rings if that is the problem and what else should I have done at the same time.