Go Back   Mitsubishi Forum - Mitsubishi Enthusiast Forums > Mitsubishi Models > Mitsubishi Eclipse & Eclipse Spyder > 2nd Generation
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Welcome to the Mitsubishi Forum - Mitsubishi Enthusiast Forums.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-17-2009, 01:50 PM

Default Rear upper strut mounts

Has anyone ever had problems with the rear upper strut mounts rusting into pieces on a 97 eclipse? I don't personally own one but I've never heard of it before. Its the weirdest thing the strut were it mounts to the car on both sides gave out on this car I'm working on for a friend. the only thing holding the suspension is the spring! The strut/shock is banging all over the car under there while he drove it home. So anyway I bought some mounts from thepartsbin.com from mevotech. I have yet to see if its really the right part or not. Has anyone else seen this before and what is the culprit to this mystery. Any suggestion?
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on MitsubishiForum!
Old 08-17-2009, 02:47 PM

like the body itself rusted out? or the part that bolts to the body? if its the body itself, only metalwork is going to fix that.
Old 08-17-2009, 02:57 PM

No, its not the body itself. There are 2 threaded posts that come through the body from the mount. The top of the shock is bolted to the mount. Its the medium between the shock and the body that has rusted away. I will definitely take pics when i get home in 2 hours. You'll easily be able to see what I am talking about. I believe that the top of the spring is attached to it as well. So it could be referred to as a spring perch as well, although thats not accurate.
Old 08-17-2009, 03:02 PM

yes its usually called a strut mount and, from what u describe, ordering and installing a new one will fix it. it should be easy to do esp in the rear. the spring is not really attached to it.
Old 08-17-2009, 08:05 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to TheEngineer

very common on these older cars

Quote:
ORIGINAL: pilsenblue
Even tho My car looks great It will never be fast. Kinda like a hot girl that dosent give it up
Old 08-17-2009, 08:05 PM

Tags
97, eclipse, exlipse, fix, gst, mitsubishi, mount, mounts, rear, rusted, shock, strut, struts, through, upper