2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

Refurbish Help

Old 03-03-2016, 05:04 PM
Default Refurbish Help

I was just given a used 1996 Spyder GS 5 speed with 160K miles for my 16 year old son. He wants to do a fixer upper project with dad. It runs ok, needs tune up. It has some rough body damage on the driver side quarter panel, door and fender, sun damage on hood and trunk. Driver side door handle is also missing. Also needs new roof installed(which was included). Interior has had some water damage, but no rust on floor boards or under carpeted areas. I’m good with fixing the mechanical items and drive train items. Question is: Where do I start with the body and how should we proceed? Where’s a good place to start looking for replacement panels and door? After body work, should we paint original color (black) or can we change it? Any direction would be helpful at this point. Thanks

Old 03-07-2016, 03:14 AM

A great project car. I guess the first place for parts would be your local salvage yards, if there are any. They are fun to go to...like pick and pull. Or, just go online and search for your parts. The door handles are common problems. Black is a good color when nice and clean. Also, for what ever reason, you won't get much input on this forum. Good luck and have fun with your project.

Old 06-20-2016, 11:56 PM

I concur with tommyleea - salvage yards are a great place to start. Also, you can check on eBay for parts to find some things that may be otherwise a pain to locate. Best of luck with your project!