2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

Spyder w/ automatic transmission problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2004, 06:24 PM
Default Spyder w/ automatic transmission problem

</P>

Ok so I found a tranny at a local junk yard "Pick n Pull" for only $200. It came from a 1995 Galant crashed so Iknew that the transmission works. I install it and everything, but there a problem. From Park to Reverse it dosen't work, but if you go from Park to Drive then Reverse. Then Reverse works. I have never hear of this problem before. I check everything oil, wires and shift linkage. </P>

What could be the problem?</P>

</P>

</P>

Old 05-01-2004, 04:12 AM

Very weird....my only guess would be the wires and shift linkage.But since those were already checked out, not too sure on what it could be.

Old 05-03-2004, 06:41 AM

<DIV>OK, I got everything figured out. The transmission that I have is from a 1993 Eclipse, even though I got it out of a 1995 Galant. I tried to check the model number on the transmission when I first got it, butit was badlyfaded. After I clean it and in bright sun light I foundout that its aF4A22, not F4A23. It is exactly the same. But here's the problem. When I installed it, itran like "s**t ,". Didn't go in reverse, no OD and down shifted really hard. I thought I had another bad transmission, dam I was hella mad. But when I took it out of the Galant it was crashed, so Iknewit was running. When I took it out it was clean, as if it was just replaced.</DIV>
<DIV> I knew it wasn't the transmission. So I decided to change over all the electronics from the F4A23 to the F4A22. And it worked. It ran perfect after that. The only different I notice it that at 65mph its about 100 or 200rpm off, but if your regular driver you wouldn't notice.</DIV>
<DIV> So if you need a F4A23 transmission, you can also use a F4A22 but you will have to change all the electronics over. Even though they look the same.</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV> Thanks for everyone's help......</DIV>

Old 02-29-2012, 12:32 PM

I did an oil change on my 99 spyder with everything working fine, after the oil change the car randomly changes, or doesn't change gears while driving and sometimes goes into netural. could it need a tranny flush too or is my tranny shot?

Old 03-25-2012, 09:22 AM

I have a 97 Spyder GS (2.4 auto)Once, on a Sunday afternoon, I accidentally drained the trans instead of the crankcase during an oil change (I was interrupted by a phone call and when I slid back under the car, I just removed the wrong drain plug. When I checked the engine oil dipstick and saw oil up beyond the full line I wrongly assumed it had just stuck to the dipstick sides.)

So the transmission was about 2 quarts and 26 ounces short and the engine had 4.5 quarts of extra oil in it. I didn't realize what I had done, but when I got in my car to go to work on Monday morning, reverse worked fine. I put it in drive at the foot of my driveway and it lurched off. It shifted poorly all day. Like an idiot, I drove it for 2 more days wondering why it was shiftingso poorly before thinking to check the engine and trans fluids.

The trans was low, off the dipstick, which smelled very burnt and the engine dipstick showed way too much. I refilled the transmission, drained out all the oil and replaced it with the correct amount.

I took the car to a dealer who flushed the transmission and said the fluid was still dirty, so he flushed it again free for a second time. It ran much better after that. The tech told me that I had definitely burned up some clutch material. That was at 87,000 miles. I'm now at 148,500 miles, still on the original transmission, though it sometimes shifts a bit roughly.

At every other oil change I drain the trans fluid and replace it (about 2 quarts and 26 ounces) to keep fresh fluid in it.

So, on the outside chance that you took out the wrong drain plug, check your trans fluid level.

Old 06-24-2017, 05:47 PM
Question 1997 eclipse Spyder Transmission issue

when I go to pass someone at times it feels like it drops into 1st gear throwing you into the dash and squealing tires momentarily, also at times when stopping at a light it doesn't release transmission and shutters and stalls. sometimes if you turn off OD switch it releases and stops, other times it wont., on way to the shore today it did the throwing you forward thing a few times in a row while bringing vehicle up to speed and then Check engine light came on and rpm at idle dropped to about 4 to 500 rpm, and the trans is stuck in 2nd gear now. kinda like limp mode! after turning the car off for 15 minutes it started working correctly then while shifting into OD it did the drop to first and throw you into the Dashboard thing 3 times in a row, then back into second gear, it went! can someone tell me, is it Torque Converter lockup? or Shift or speed sensor issue? Also, Speedometer hasn't worked since I put this used Transmission in the car. Yes this is an automatic trans