2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

Auto to Manual swap - Clutch differences PT Cruiser vs 2g Eclipse

Old 06-01-2017, 05:27 PM
Question Auto to Manual swap - Clutch differences PT Cruiser vs 2g Eclipse

Hi all,

Here's a question for anyone who's done the 420a auto to manual swap.

I purchased a manual transmission on eBay to do the swap. Already have the auto out and before installing the manual I realized there are no cotter pin holes on the shift levers. I checked the part number and it comes back as a PT Cruiser transmission. I have no problem with that as they're the same but I checked the Clutch Part numbers for Eclipse and PT Cruiser at RockAuto and theyre different. From what I've found on eBay, PT Cruiser/ Eclipse flexplates (with starter gear) are the same so why is the clutch assembly part number different? I'm using the modular clutch as the factory did. Does the PT perhaps have more clutch finger
pressure since its a heavier vehicle? Or maybe more clutch material for the same reason? I'm fairly certain the Eclipse clutch I bought will work but does anyone know what the differences are since there are 2 different part numbers?

I'm going to use eClips for the shift levers to hold the cables in place. One of the levers is sightly different in appearance from an Eclipse lever but appears to be in about the same position but I don't have an Eclipse manual transmission in front of me for comparison. Will there be any issues here or do I need Eclipse shift levers?

Any info appreciated here.

Thanks,
Dave