2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

signal switch broken

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2007, 01:12 AM
Default signal switch broken

well my turn signal switch is stuck on left no matter what i do to it, so i pulled the fuse...my question is, would it be easier for me to pull up the steering wheel and replace the switch myself or take it to the dealer and have them do it for me?

Old 04-29-2007, 01:37 AM
Default RE: signal switch broken

myself ....IMO i would do it myself cause the dealership rips u off...

Old 04-29-2007, 02:06 AM

Chances are, there's a little piece of plastic causing the lever to stick...if that's what you're saying that is.
I would recommend taking off the steering wheel covers (top/bottom) and unscrewing the lever from the column. It's not very hard at all.
I found a piece of plastic causing my lever to stop before allowing the contacts to touch and send the right turn light the signal. Again, it's very easy and not worth the time and money to send it to a shop or stealership for something that might be as simple as that.

Old 04-29-2007, 02:12 AM

oh ok, so you dont even have to pull off the steering wheel to get to it?

Old 04-29-2007, 05:42 AM

Nope, just the 2 piece shroud that covers the column. 3 screws found just by looking underneath the column. Then you will remove the top and bottom pieces to reveal the guts and you'll see two or three screws holding the turn lever to the column and it's harness. Removing it is very simple. Opening the lever's box is simple too, just remember to put it back correctly and that is simple also.

Look around in there and don't wipe off the dielectric grease that you will find in it. It won't hurt you if you get it on your fingers either. I say that because you'll want to feel around for any obstructions. Use a jewelers flathead to feel around too..or something similar.
I got to the point of buying a spare one and putting it in. At that point, I took my old one apart again just to see if I missed anything and felt around better and found a piece of plastic that was physically keeping the lever from moving up (right turn)! The dielectric grease kept it in place and from moving around (that would have made some noise) and since the plastic is black, it was hard to spot! I put it back together and put it back in my car and what do you know....I worked.
You may have a piece of plastic that is lodged on the contact. Keeping it pressed down and touching the other contact.

Moral of my story is that if I had just looked a tad bit better, I would have found it the first time and not wasted my money on a used one and time waiting for it. Especially since the whole process only took me 1 minute's worth of probing.

BTW, did you mean that your turn signal lever was stuck in the turn position and would not move back to center? Is it able to move in it's 3 positions?

Old 04-29-2007, 05:01 PM

yea it moves left, off, right....all that, BUT its just stuck blinking left nomatter where its switched to....so i took out the fuse and driving like an a**hole with no blinker.

Old 04-29-2007, 10:27 PM

Three things come to mind. The lever, relay, and the turn/flasher control module. The lights won't give you this issue, wiring won't either.
It's obvious that one of these component's contact is stuck, whether it be a manual switch, internal relay, or the relay itself.
Oh..one more thing comes to mind. Is your Hazard switch pushed and on? You could also accidentally pushed it on and didn't know all the while not knowing that your left turn lights are out. Now that would be funny, lol. Check it anyway, just to humor me, lol.

Old 04-29-2007, 11:09 PM

yea the hazards work fine. im thinking its the switch...like the connector like you said broke off and stuck.

Old 04-30-2007, 03:44 AM

actually, while we're talking about signal switches ...

why is my left turn signal blinking faster than my right one ?

Old 04-30-2007, 04:18 AM

ORIGINAL: GSXEX Knubbe

actually, while we're talking about signal switches ...

why is my left turn signal blinking faster than my right one ?
One of your bulbs is about to blow on that side.

Quick Reply: signal switch broken