2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

Troubleshooting my turbo

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2015, 11:44 AM
Default Troubleshooting my turbo

98 eclipse gsx automatic, 2.0 DOHC, Turbo...I am burning oil like crazy. Turbo has been rebuilt twice. Once by me with no improvement, so I thought maybe I messed something up. Sent to G-Pop for inspect and rebuild. They did a fine job. Looks like new again. But, no improvement. Still burning oil like crazy. I literally cannot see the cars behind me there is so much smoke. After I get up to speed, and just cruise the smoke goes away. I cleaned out the return line which appeared clean to begin with. I put a vacuum gauge on the motor and it is good and steady. Nothing out of the ordinary. I have not performed a compression test yet. Haven't had the car long. Didn't really drive it far, because I didn't have the history on it, and wanted to replace the timing belt before I really drove it. That part is done, so this is disappointing. Not sure what to check for next. Any ideas? Thanks...Everything seems to be stock on the motor.

TommyJ

Old 09-28-2015, 07:38 PM

Well, I found out how to stop the oil burning. There is a hose that comes off the valve cover, and goes down to the turbo inlet hose. If I disconnect this hose, the oil burning stops. There was a blue silicone hose for this connection, which I replaced with a standard black crankcase hose, because the blue one was cracked and brittle. I don't know if there may have been a check valve in the old hose, but it appears that the turbo is sucking oil thru it and burning it in the engine. Any ideas? This isn't the pcv valve.

Old 09-29-2015, 09:44 AM

Maybe the hose I installed is too small in diameter. I wonder if the smaller diameter would cause the turbo to draw more than normal? I guess I will try a larger diameter hose. Thanks for the idea!

Old 09-29-2015, 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by tommyleea
Maybe the hose I installed is too small in diameter. I wonder if the smaller diameter would cause the turbo to draw more than normal? I guess I will try a larger diameter hose. Thanks for the idea!
You are very welcome!

Old 09-29-2015, 09:48 PM

Did you try the larger hose, and if so did it fix your problem?

Old 09-29-2015, 10:00 PM

Did you try the larger hose, and if so did it fix your problem?
I did try the larger hose. It may have reduced some of the smoke, but not enough to make a difference.

Old 09-30-2015, 08:21 AM

Is oil blowing out of the valve cover with that hose disconnected?

Old 09-30-2015, 09:10 AM

Is oil blowing out of the valve cover with that hose disconnected?
No, I put the end of the hose in a clear container and drove the car several miles. No oil in the container after the drive.

Old 09-30-2015, 09:14 AM

No, I put the end of the hose in a clear container and drove the car several miles. No oil in the container after the drive.
If I were you, which I am, I would pull the valve cover off and check the condition of the baffles.

Old 09-30-2015, 09:48 AM

If I were you, which I am, I would pull the valve cover off and check the condition of the baffles.
Copy, Thanks...I love this site...More to follow..

Quick Reply: Troubleshooting my turbo