2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

Turbo eclipse life span....

Old 12-16-2004, 03:42 PM
Default Turbo eclipse life span....

Ok, i just totalled my 98' eclipse RS after only having it for like a month. But thankfully it wasnt my fault so i will be getting some extra money soon. Now I am looking at the GS-T because I was told by my local garage that the RS and GS non turbo models have dodge neon engines, thus making the repairs several hundred dollars more (ex. timing belts would have costed $200 more for a non-turbo model) So I have made up my mind that I will only drive an eclipse and Id like it to be a turboed madel....

My question is, Many people have been tellin me that turboed cars do not last nearly as long as non-turboed cars due to the stress of pressurized air in the engine. The only GS-T i can afford will have at least 60k miles on it. So is this true that they don't last as long? And if so, aproximatly how long will a GS-T last if properly maintained and in excellent condition to begin with?

Old 12-16-2004, 08:07 PM
Default RE: Turbo eclipse life span....

as with any car if you just get in and drive they will not last long.if you take care of your car,change your oil evry 3,000 miles change air filter,fuel filter,change timming belt run only 91 + gas.do all the stuff that your suppose to do they,will last for a long time. they wont last long if you try to mod them without knowing what you are doing,thats when stuff starts breaking and then people blame the car

Old 12-16-2004, 09:11 PM

If there's any real differance between a turbo and non I'd bet it's due to the fact people probably drive them harder then most NA's. The turbo engines have a lower compression ratio then the NA's so it's still not the same as if you put a turbo on a GS or RS. I'd def go with that GTS you were talking about, I love mine, you'll be very happy with it.

Old 12-17-2004, 05:58 AM

shoot...break-in period on an eclipse isn't until 150,000 miles...There's lots of eclipses still running hard at almost 200,000 miles....Treat them well and they'll last a lifetime

Old 12-17-2004, 02:08 PM

The people who told you that turbocharged cars don't last as long as naturally aspirated cars may have just had a bad experience with a turbocharging. Perhaps they put turbo kit on their own car and didn't take well enough care of it, or have heard stories like that from their peers. What it mostly come down to manufacturer reliabilty. Not to rip on Mazda, but the RX7's had some of the worst problems with their turbo 13b-rew rotaries, from the common heating problems to knock control(one ping and it's done). Chrysler also had some trouble with their 2.3l turbocharged engines in various cars. Now look at Toyota or Nissan, they have almost bulletproof turbo engines. Nissan SR20's are super strong, as were the VG30's and, of course, the RB2x. Toyota has probably the strongest turbocharged engine, the 2jz, and perhaps the most versatile engine from japan, the 4a(my favorite). Now Mitsubishi's 4g63 and 6g72 engines were built and revised with forced induction in mind. With strong cast iron blocks, thick rods, and forged cranks, and low comp pistons, the 4g63's are made for turbocharging. They will last a long time with general maintenence and good upkeep.

Old 12-19-2004, 02:41 AM

The RX7's had main seal problems too which was complicated by the turbo.

Old 12-19-2004, 03:46 AM

ORIGINAL: SpyderGS

.... Now look at Toyota or Nissan, they have almost bulletproof turbo engines. Nissan SR20's are super strong....Toyota has probably the strongest turbocharged engine, the 2jz, and perhaps the most versatile engine from japan, the 4a(my favorite). Now Mitsubishi's 4g63 and 6g72 engines were built and revised with forced induction in mind. With strong cast iron blocks, thick rods, and forged cranks, and low comp pistons, the 4g63's are made for turbocharging. They will last a long time with general maintenence and good upkeep.
The SR20DET is probly the most comparable engine to our 4G63T. Nice engine.

The 2JZ is a nice engine aswell, the turbo version being FAR superior. Has been listed as one of the strongest "stock" engines ever built.

The 4G63T has gone through several stages of change. Some for the good others for the worst.

The lifetime of an engine is soley on the build quailty of THAT particular engine and the care in which you give it. I boost 20psi daily and my engine is strong, compression test proven. Treat your car nice and it "should" be nice back.

Old 12-24-2004, 10:46 PM

damn, what kinda power are you putting out at 20 psi? You have any pics of your setup?

Old 12-25-2004, 01:16 AM

On the older turbo that had 3 missing turbine (exhaust side) fins I put down 311whp at 20psi.

I have pics but they are not all that spectacular.

DIRTY DIRTY DIRTY

(Notice the stock Accordian Hahaha. Told ya it was a useless mod for starters.)

Old 12-25-2004, 01:56 AM

Nice, I kinda want to get a compression test just to see where I'm at since I havn't had this for too long. I know how it feels and it feels fine but I'd just like to know how it reads.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Turbo eclipse life span....