3rd Generation This includes all Eclipses built from 2000-2005

01 Spyder stalls after new battery?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2005, 10:16 PM
Default 01 Spyder stalls after new battery?

Lucky me, I got a call from my mother-in-law today because her car is stalling after the battery was replaced earlier today. The car will not idle, just dies. As long as you stay in the gas it runs fine but as soon as you come to a stop it dies. I figured it just needed to be driven for awhile to allow the computer to reacclimate. Well, I drove it about 75 miles and it still stalls when coming to a stop. The check engine light also came on about 50 miles in but my scanner is a buddy's house.

I checked all the vaccuum connections and electrical connections near the battery and everything looked copacetic. Anything else I to do or check before I get my code scanner back?

Old 05-21-2005, 01:10 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: 01 Spyder stalls after new battery?

Check the idle. Is it a definate electrical problem or is it just that the engine up and dies for no reason?

Old 05-21-2005, 04:47 PM

well its not the battery. Find out what you're CEL is and make sure everything is "copacetic"

Old 05-21-2005, 06:33 PM
Super Moderator

Yeah definately not the battery. Need to get the code pulled see what it is and fix THAT problem first.

Old 05-21-2005, 07:22 PM

The problem started happening right after the battery was replaced, literally. Coincidence? Perhaps. I did pull the codes and got a P0101, VAF/MAF circuit out of range/performance. I cleared the code after reseating the MAF wiring connector and ran the car another 50 miles and the code didn't come back. I also cleaned the MAF and put a new air filter in it.

Again, the car never had any of these issues prior to the battery being replaced. The problem started happening on the first attempt to start the car after the new battery was put in. I know it's not the battery causing it. I figured the computer isn't relearning properly. I disconnected the neg battery cable twice today for 15 minutes to reset the computer to no avail. Typically how much does it cost to have the ECU reflashed at the dealer?

It acts just like my Mustang did when the idle air controller went bad. It just seems strange that something like that would crap out at the exact moment a new battery was installed.

Old 05-21-2005, 09:08 PM
Super Moderator

Could you have possibly done something in the disconecting and reconnecting the battery that could have zapped the computer or the sensor? I dunno how much it'd cost to flash the computer or if it'd just be easier to replace it altogether.

Old 05-21-2005, 09:16 PM

ORIGINAL: Sanguinius

Could you have possibly done something in the disconecting and reconnecting the battery that could have zapped the computer or the sensor? I dunno how much it'd cost to flash the computer or if it'd just be easier to replace it altogether.
Unfortunately I didn't install the battery. She had it done at Advance Auto. She said one of the minions started the install but the manager had to finish it for whatever reason. The manager told her she'd have to take it to Mitsubishi. I'll see if I can find a junkyard computer to try.

Old 05-21-2005, 11:08 PM
Super Moderator

Oh jeez one of the Advanced minions... NOT good most of those guys wouldn't know a feul filter from an air filter... (Though some of them ARE good I know an ASE certified master mechanic that works at one but not as a minion).

Old 08-10-2005, 06:49 PM

What was the final outcome of this problem? I have exactly the same issue with my 01 Spyder. Replaced the battery and the car will not idle...

Old 08-12-2005, 04:09 PM

Wow, i was planing to change the battery of my 00' gt, but with these i've seen i think i prefer to wait until the battery dies complety lol, does any had changed the battery of their cars and didnt had that problem??

Quick Reply: 01 Spyder stalls after new battery?