3rd Generation This includes all Eclipses built from 2000-2005

2001 Eclipse Auto transmission help!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2014, 10:38 AM
Default 2001 Eclipse Auto transmission help!!

2001 Eclipse with Trans issues. Help!
2001 Eclipse with a 2.4L auto.

Check engine codes:
P0765
P0760

DTC codes
46 - Reverse Gear Not Synchronized
44 - 4th gear not synchronized

Transmission shifts up, but will not downshift. Car must be turned off to reset back to 1st gear again, then the process repeats it shifts up and then gets stuck. Problem started with the original transmission. It was suggested the ECM/TCM went bad so we had a salvage ECM flashed with the original software and used that, but the problem persisted. We installed a known working salvage transmission and again the problem repeats itself. Not sure what it could be.

Thoughts? Help?

Old 10-12-2014, 08:12 AM
Default Had electrical/transmission problems too!

Take it to the dealer at this point is the best advice that I can give you. It could be the cheaper way out for you.

This happened to me: I just had my 2001 Spyder SR shut off after 5 to 10 mins. It turned out to be a broken or damaged wire. I am an retired Engineer and spent lots of time hunting it down (I got no error codes) to no avail. I did not have the time to further figure it out and fed up I had a mechanic come to my shop and he spent about 4 hrs @ $80/hr and he could not find it. The next day I took it to the local dealer. Showed them everything that was checked out and they found it in less than an hour @ $90/hr. I should have just started out with the dealer. My frustration level would have been a lot less. And the car runs great now. KOW

Good Luck with fixing your Eclipse.

Charles

Old 10-12-2014, 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by Chaspalm
Take it to the dealer at this point is the best advice that I can give you. It could be the cheaper way out for you.

This happened to me: I just had my 2001 Spyder SR shut off after 5 to 10 mins. It turned out to be a broken or damaged wire. I am an retired Engineer and spent lots of time hunting it down (I got no error codes) to no avail. I did not have the time to further figure it out and fed up I had a mechanic come to my shop and he spent about 4 hrs @ $80/hr and he could not find it. The next day I took it to the local dealer. Showed them everything that was checked out and they found it in less than an hour @ $90/hr. I should have just started out with the dealer. My frustration level would have been a lot less. And the car runs great now. KOW

Good Luck with fixing your Eclipse.

Charles
Thanks for the advice. I'm starting to lean towards the dealership but they tend to come up with so many wrong answers before they get the right one. Obviously this will be hundreds of dollars later. I'd like to exhaust all of my options before I start giving them money.

I was hoping someone might be able to help me with the continuity test to the harness between the ECM and transmission harness. I have a voltmeter but I dont know how much the pin at the transmission harness should be reading. I checked the harness today and I have a black wire with a pink stripe that doesn't seem to be getting anything, but I'm not sure it its a ground or if its broken. I tested at the harness and at the ECM and got the same result.

Old 10-12-2014, 11:56 PM

You can get a short detector at places like Harbor Freight stores or from their website. that will get you closer without having to cut up your wire harness.

I did not have any codes to go by so I paid a mobile mechanic to come to my shop to figure it out. I did take his info to my local dealer and let them know that all of the components were working. The wiring harness was the last part. That harness is $900.00 from the dealer.

Good Luck,

Charles

Old 10-23-2014, 10:32 AM
Default Fixed yet?

Hey agraves138,
Have you been able to get your Eclipse fixed? Let us know...
Charles