3rd Generation This includes all Eclipses built from 2000-2005

car stalls when it warms up

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2015, 10:28 PM
Default car stalls when it warms up

I have a mitibishi eclipse spyder convertible 4 cylinder 2003 which has a stalling problem.when it sits and is cold it seems to idle fine and I can step on the gas and it revs up with no problems but once the engine temperture guage goes to the half way point which i assume is correct operating temp it stalls when i start to slow down or take my foot off the gas.when i try to start it stalls imeadiately unless i kind of play with the gas and i can keep it going that way and quickly throw it into drive from netral but then as I start to slow down to stop or take my foot off the gas it stalls-I tried cleaning the throttle body and it didnt really look bad but did it and then check the IAC valve to see if it was getting power it was then I removed the IAC valve to look at it it looked perfect no stuff on the nipple on the end and the rest is plastic but i cleaned it off with some carb cleaner anyway hooked it back up still doing the same when the car is cold runs fine but as soon as it reaches operating temp it just stalls unless i keep reving the gasback and forth.I am going to the junk yard and getting a IAC valve but dont really think it is the problem i cant seem to find any air leaks so please does anyone have and ideas also i am going to put some high test in it and some injecter cleaner and see if i can get some to run into it and see if that helps any i read something about the maf sensor dont no if that could be it also plus ny engine light is not on and also when i was taking the IAC vavle out the bottom screw was stripped so i had to remove the battery and battery shelve where the battery sits on to get a better place to put small visegrips on it got it rmoved but didnt no if that screws up the computer but didnt have a choice tomorrow I will try the iac vavle i get at the junk yard dont no what else to do

Last edited by bluefish; 05-15-2015 at 10:33 PM.
Old 05-15-2015, 11:02 PM

check the air intake hose from the throttle body to the air cleaner for cracks / tears on the bottom of the hose

Old 05-16-2015, 06:36 AM
Default car stalls when warm

I will check the air intake for leaks again but really didnt find anything but i do appreciate the ides and help i am lost

Old 05-16-2015, 02:17 PM
Default still stalling

iac valve works and I checked all the hoses took them all off and put back on could not find any leaks i am going crazy guess i need to have a teck work on my car just hate the cost ect but no answers even ran hi test and injecter cleaner thru it today just cant figure it out

Old 05-18-2015, 12:22 PM
Default still trying to figure it out

also when i started having the stalling problem to begin with I noticed when i opened the hood the overflow tank was down on fluid and when I sqeeased the upper radiator hose it showed a 3 inch crack in the plastic where fluid was slightly leaking out. I changed the radiator and tried to bleed the air out the best I could wondering if having some air in the heating system could affect how the engine runs. I did free it and kept checking the level seems like it is good. I wonder even if the crack in the first place allowed air to get into the system i find it hard to beleive because if that was the case would you not allow air in the system just from the little overflow hose on the side of the radiator as the car cools would that not draw air in everytime the car cooled well who knows i will try to bleed the system one more time and then it goes to the shop I am sure with the machines they can check the readings of the iac valve and maf talked to a mechanic he said air in the cooling system could affect the engine who knows