3rd Generation This includes all Eclipses built from 2000-2005

Engine Light - P0441/Another issue (Linked?)

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2010, 12:21 AM
Default Engine Light - P0441/Another issue (Linked?)

I am new here. I would like to say hello to everyone before I post.

On to the problem! I have a 2002 Mitsubishi Eclipse with a 3.0l v6 engine. As far as I can tell, other than an aftermarket muffler, the car seems to be stock (I am not much of a mechanic, as you could probably tell.) Anyway, I have two problems.

The first, is the check engine light. It has thrown a variety of codes, all dealing with improper purge flow. At one point it threw o2 sensors running lean (both). But that happened once, and after I checked it with another scanner, it never showed up again. Probably an old code. However, these codes have been reset twice. Once before a gas cap replacement, and once after. It came back on within a few days (50 miles of driving or less.)

The second problem, through avid research, I found is linked to the purge flow valve in some cars. This post in particular was for the exact same problem I am having, but with a Hyundai Sonata. Anyway, on to this problem. When I fill my gas tank (Partial fill and full tank.) and start my car, it takes a few seconds to start. (Normally, it starts up less than a second after I turn the key.) When I do start it up, I have to hold down the gas slightly. If I let off the gas, the car will stall out and die. However, If I start it up, put it into drive and take off without it dying, and drive around the building, and stopping roughly 300 feet later to pull out into the street, the car runs fine. I can turn it off, then turn it back on immediately, with no issues. That is, until I fill the tank again.

In my research, I have found that the first problem has many causes. However, the second has been rather limited (Recall on the gas tank (Chrysler 300), and faulty charcoal canisters.) but the latest research effort told me that this can be caused by the purge valve.

(If this is far too much information, I apologize, but I like to be thorough.)

If this is true, where is it on this model of vehicle? How can I test if this is indeed the problem, and where can I find a replacement? I've checked online, and I can't find a part for this vehicle by that name, so I'm guessing that I'm not searching for the right part or something like that.

Any help would be great! I would take it in to a mechanic, but I am a college student, and my funds are somewhat tight. I would rather not have to take the problem to the shop if I can solve it myself. Your help will be much appreciated. Thank you in advance for your time.

Old 09-21-2010, 10:53 PM

Um...bump?

Old 09-22-2010, 09:49 PM

Anyone? Anyone at all?

Old 10-06-2010, 10:11 AM

i have a 05 eclipse with the 3.0 v6. i have similar issues. my car doesn't stall out or have issues at fueling. but it is throwing a code, i dont remember the number of the code, but it is an EVAP sensor, that is caused by it not opening or closing properly, i replaced my gas cap to, does not work. and when i have reset my codes, it comes on after around 20-50 miles of driving. i have brought it to a mechanic, he told me that it is not a serious issue, its jsut that there could be a small leak in the fuel tank or in a line, that is causing a sensor to trip, or a sensor along the fuel system, but he said not to worry about it.