3rd Generation This includes all Eclipses built from 2000-2005

Manual transmission shifter sticky

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2008, 08:02 PM
Default Manual transmission shifter sticky

I just bought a used 2003 Spyder GTS with about 62k miles from the original owner. Everything in excellent condition, runs great. During the test drive I noticed that the shifter was a little stiff and would not always return to center (between 3rd & 4th) when in neutral. Seemed minor so I bought the car.

I took apart, cleaned & lubed the shifter linkage all the way to the transmission and changed the gear oil. Everything seemed very free when I got done. Took it out for a test drive and shifted fine. However, as it gets hot, the problem comes back. When it cools off the shifter gets free again. The transmission seems to shift fine, no grinding or difficulty getting it into gear, but since it does not always center itself. Going from 2nd to 3rd can be a problem.

Any ideas?

Old 07-18-2008, 09:32 PM
Banned
Default RE: Manual transmission shifter sticky

Interesting. Maybe try a different grease?

Old 07-18-2008, 09:40 PM
Super Moderator

I would say the shifter cables are not adjusted propery or the cablescould bebent or binding up?

Old 07-18-2008, 09:55 PM
Banned

Why would it be only some of the time though

Old 07-18-2008, 10:14 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: Sebba

Why would it be only some of the time though
Idk just tossing out ideas?

Old 07-19-2008, 06:52 AM

The weird thing is that it only seems to bind up as it gets hot, just the side to side motion. Sitting in the garage, cold right now everything is free. But if I drive it for about 10-15 minutes the problem comes back. I'm worried that transmission may have a problem. The trans. oil was clean when I changed it (Valvoline) and there was only a little fuzz on the magnet. Is there a super slippery high-end lube that I could try?

The transmission input shafts had a little corrosion but nothing major. I just smeared some bearing grease on them.

I appreciate the ideas.

Old 08-17-2008, 07:46 AM

The 03 Eclipse GTS I just bought my daughter acts the same. Its not prohibitive, just stiffer when warm. Let me know if you find a resolution.

Old 08-17-2008, 10:17 PM

Found it & fixed it. Not a big deal to fix if you are mechanically inclined. I decided to take another look at the transmission linkage. The problem turned out to be caused by binding at the pivot points between some plastic parts & rusty pivot pins. I hate to say this, but I can't remember exactly where the binding was but it was definitely not the shifter cable or the transmission.

To get at it you have to remove the battery and the battery mounting bracket. Kind of a pain but you can then see the transmission linkage. Check all the pivot points. Take them apart, remove the rust and lube them up.

Apparently, in my case, when the transmission warmed up, the linkage arm would get hot and a rusty steel pivot pin would expand and bind up in a plastic washer/spacer. Once I cleaned up the parts - problem gone. Shifter is very free all the time.

Please let me know if you have any questions. Good luck.

Old 08-18-2008, 06:15 AM

ORIGINAL: mcalpine

Found it & fixed it. Not a big deal to fix if you are mechanically inclined. I decided to take another look at the transmission linkage. The problem turned out to be caused by binding at the pivot points between some plastic parts & rusty pivot pins. I hate to say this, but I can't remember exactly where the binding was but it was definitely not the shifter cable or the transmission.

To get at it you have to remove the battery and the battery mounting bracket. Kind of a pain but you can then see the transmission linkage. Check all the pivot points. Take them apart, remove the rust and lube them up.

Apparently, in my case, when the transmission warmed up, the linkage arm would get hot and a rusty steel pivot pin would expand and bind up in a plastic washer/spacer. Once I cleaned up the parts - problem gone. Shifter is very free all the time.

Please let me know if you have any questions. Good luck.
Good to hear Mcalpine and thank you for posting your findings.

Old 08-28-2008, 05:01 AM

When you take the battery out, do you lock out the radio (do you need a reset code?)

thx

Quick Reply: Manual transmission shifter sticky