4th Generation This includes all Eclipses built in 2006 and 2007.

Major Problem - What Should I Do?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2008, 11:40 PM
Default Major Problem - What Should I Do?

Ok I have an '06 Eclipse GT Six Speed with 22k miles. I bought it used from a Ford dealer about two weeks ago. I couldn't be happier with the car (I had a 2000 Eclipse GT in the past) so I like the cars a lot. I was on the interstate going about 75 and a 3000gt wants to play so I go to downshift to fourth and apparently I didn't shift right because it didn't go into gear, so I forget about going fast and just try to put it in gear and it won't go. The clutch pedal felt retarded and it was really hard to put into any gear. So I got off at the nearest exit and the clutch was releasing really weird and it was still really hard to put in gear. No matter how I started out it would shake like it was going to die. So I call the Mitsubishi dealer and the lady tells me that because my clutch pedal is still coming to the top like normal,and that when I give it throttle when driving it revs high but doesn't respond like normal, that I'm probably going to need a whole new clutch. So I call for tow but they said it's gonna be like four hours and the dealership is onlya couple miles away so I had my dad follow me there to drop it off. Well towards the end when I would be at a stop light with the clutch fully in and it in gear it would still die. So I dropped it off and they're going to call me tomorrow morning. Should I let them put in a new clutch or should I buy a cluth from an autoparts store and let my dad put it in (he's done clutches in the past and said this eclipse shouldn't be that hard). What are my options here and how much would each cost? Thanx in advance!

Old 02-01-2008, 10:53 AM
Banned
Default RE: Major Problem - What Should I Do?

Its not under warrenty?

Old 02-01-2008, 10:56 AM
Banned

I think this is a hydraulic problem. More than likely the master cylinder, or a leak in the lines some place. I would say, as long as you havnt been burning up the clutch (You would smell it). If the clutch engages really high, like when you are releasing it, if it grabs higher than it used to, then thats wear on the clutch.

I would only replace the clutch if it starts slipping.

Surely with 22k on the car this is covered?

Old 02-01-2008, 12:01 PM

Ok so the dealer called me back and after $115 to start digging into it they said I definitely do need a new clutch. It's not just hydraulic, the pressure plate is broken. They said it'd only be under warranty if I give them the green light to totally tear into it and start the process to replace the clutch and they find a defective part, which I already know they won't. I figure I'll let them finish up their diagnostic and see what else they finally say then they'll give me the total price in a couple hours. This totally sucks...I don't have the money to fix it, I'd have to take out a loan and if that doesn't go through then I'm just screwed.

Old 02-01-2008, 12:39 PM
Banned

Why wont they find a deffective part? Its a warrenty issue dude, let them deal with it.

Old 02-01-2008, 01:08 PM

Ok so I just heard back from them and they said they're filing it under "abuse". I've only had the car two weeks and now I see that the clutch wasn't in good shape and I just pushed it over the edge. So warranty is out of the question. Right now I'd be better off getting out from under the car and then saving up and buying something cash. How would it work if I just took it back to the Ford dealer and said "I can't afford it"?

Old 02-01-2008, 02:10 PM
Banned

FIGHT IT!!!! That is ****ing bull****!!!

Go to another dealer.

That really pisses me off. Im tempted to write them a letter.

Old 02-02-2008, 02:14 AM

Sorry to hear bro but clutches are like brakes, there considered a wearable item that is usually never covered under warranty. The previous owner could have put the car through hell and now you get to foot the bill, that's the risk you take buying used. Trust me on this, I went through this with a used MINI Cooper I bought and one reason why I will never buy a used car ever again. Too risky.

Good luck.

Old 02-02-2008, 10:06 AM
Banned

I'm telling you that you can fight it. 22k there is no excuse for the pressure plate to go.

I think you are missing the point here. When a clutch is ready to be changed, it starts to slip. It is not possible to do that to a pressure plate out of abuse. There is something wrong with it.

Like I originally said, this is hydraulic. The pressure plate has no hydraulic pressure.

Think of it this way, your brakes start to act up. Suddenly you lost all braking on the front passenger wheel. And the problem is due to a caliper problem. That IS NOT wear and tear.

Pressure plates hardly ever do that (and I still doubt thats the problem) if the clutch was slipping, then that is out of abuse, bit pressure plates dont break like that.