4th Generation This includes all Eclipses built in 2006 and 2007.

Need help upgrading 06 GT

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2006, 01:09 PM
Default Need help upgrading 06 GT

I'm planning on getting a cold air intake and a new strut bar and wanted to know what benefits I'll see.

The GT comes with a factory strut bar but I wanted to replace it with something that looked a bit nicer. Will an aftermarket bar be stiffer or just look better?

The stock GT pretty much has a cold air intake. The funnel coming off the filter box is unrestricted and pull air from under the front of the hood. I;ve already replaced stock filter with K&N so will adding a cold air improve flow or just be more of the same but better looking.

My last change will be either a cat back or axle back. I'm waiting on that because I want to be sure I get one that sounds right. I like a deep throaty rumble as opposed to some of the coffee cans I hear that sound more like a lawn mower....BBRRRAAAAPPP!

I like better looking but it has to improve performance for me to spend the money.

Old 12-08-2006, 01:26 PM
Default RE: Need help upgrading 06 GT

I'm not sure about the strut bar, it may be alittle stiffer, but I don't think you'll notice a huge difference.

A cold air intake will improve response and the flow, you may find a couple ponies, but the main difference you will notice is the sound, its going to be loud when you step on it, and of course it will look better.

For the deep throaty rumble and alittle more power, you'll want a cat-back opposed to an axle back.

Old 12-08-2006, 01:31 PM

if you have already put the K&N filter on it, you won't see a big change going tot he CAI, but there will be Pony increase. as for the strut bar, if it already has a strutbar, if it comes with one than you won't see much difference going to another one besides looks. to be honest, there isn't a hude difference going from no strut bar to having one . . . at last i didn't notice much of a difference. for the exhaust, axel back exhaust does nothing. catback is the way to go if your looking for any kind of improvement. apexi and greddy make deep sounding exhaust that aren't too loud, they are great names, great products, and you'll probablys ee anywhere from 5-12whp.

Old 12-09-2006, 11:15 AM

Which do you think will give me the greatest gain considering I already have the K&N filter? The cat back or cold air?
It looks like the cat back would. The cold air may mess with my warranty.

Would a Greddy EVO II create the deeper sound I'm looking for? Is it loud at highway speeds (80mph+)?

Old 12-09-2006, 11:52 AM

you wont see anything from either "mod", because 1)the factory strut bar is more than strong enough (as is the entire chassis), and the factory airbox is a 2 step design that automatically flips a secondary door open at the same time the MIVEC switches over. It flows more than enough air, and in fact will probably work better than a sloppily designed aftermarket filter that pulls in warm engine air as opposed to cold air routed from in front of the radiator.

Old 12-09-2006, 11:43 PM

Manybrews, thanks for the input, you verified what I thought. They call them cold air but they pull air from under the hood or through the fenderwell. The stock draws air from in front of the radiator under the hood and has no baffle or restrictor. I've noticed the change in sound when I excellerate above 4,000rpm. It's sounds like extra air (wooshing sound) is being sucked in. I only here it after 4,000.

I'll probably go with the cat back once I find one that has the right sound.

Old 04-08-2007, 11:33 PM

well, its not all about the cold air per se........remember ,if you take off your stock airbox,you will notice it has two resonators.the air must flow in within that as well to get to your throttle.as well,the ridges on your plastic intake,every ridge restricts your airflow a bit.a nice mandrel bent intake will eliminate this ,and thus will def.increase throttle response. btw ,ive yet to see any factory setups,that have a better then aftermarket exhaust or intake system.also ,my injen stats,what they show on paper,if that was not true a company like that could get sued or go under.so also with the good catback systems.what they put on dyno papers,is what the usual gain should be,off the stock.

Old 04-09-2007, 07:36 PM

there is no aftermarket intake on the planet that will gain anything but 2-3 HP.. And thats being generous.

Old 04-10-2007, 12:50 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: Manybrews

there is no aftermarket intake on the planet that will gain anything but 2-3 HP.. And thats being generous.
well i dont know about that RRE has a couple dyno charts of the 4g with and without aftermarket and they both seems to be pretty consistant. I doubt its as big a gain they say but i still think its like 5hp
AEM- http://www.roadraceengineering.com/4...caidyno-hp.jpg
Injen- http://www.roadraceengineering.com/4...chart_2_bg.jpg

Old 04-10-2007, 12:52 PM

Ok, to reword that... there is no intake made that will create double digit HP. (This leaves us some room to even hit 9hp... yea... right.)

Quick Reply: Need help upgrading 06 GT