4th Generation This includes all Eclipses built in 2006 and 2007.

Replacing tires on my 2006 GS

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2008, 12:21 PM
Default Replacing tires on my 2006 GS

As the subject indicates, I'm replacing my tires on my 2006 GS Eclipse. I'm wanting to stick with an all season tire since we get heavy rains in the spring and snow in the winter.

1. Has anyone replaced their OEM tires with a different all season??? If so, what tire?

2. Did you like thetire you switched to???

Old 05-06-2008, 12:36 PM
Banned
Default RE: Replacing tires on my 2006 GS

It all depends what you really do with the car. If you are the kind of person that likes to get up into the tripple digits at 3am when nobody is on the road, you should invest in a higher safety rating tire. This is because of sidewall heat causing it to shred. I did 155 on H rated tires and almost had a blowout. Not fun.

My personal experiance with Pirelli, is that they handle AWESOME, but they wear like a bitch. Possibly because I beat on them a little, but why should that be any different with tires I have treated the same? There was definatly a difference.

Yokohama tires are one of my favs. They have awesome tires that take abuse pretty well, but they are the more expensive, and perhaps not worth it.

A median to all this, is BF Goodrich. My brother tracks his Lotus with these on (Comes factory with Yokohama's) and they grip awesome. They aren't as good as the Yokohama's but for the price, I like them more. Sure they handle better, but the BFG tires last a little longer, and they are cheaper.

So my fav is the BFG. Plus they have a pretty cool tread design : )

Old 05-06-2008, 12:53 PM

ORIGINAL: Sebba

A median to all this, is BF Goodrich. My brother tracks his Lotus with these on (Comes factory with Yokohama's) and they grip awesome. They aren't as good as the Yokohama's but for the price, I like them more. Sure they handle better, but the BFG tires last a little longer, and they are cheaper.

So my fav is the BFG. Plus they have a pretty cool tread design : )
Thanks Sebba! You have put my mind at ease. I was really impressed with the Yokohama's but not with their price. After a lot of research, I switched my attention to the BF Goodrich's. I haven't bought a set yet due to the fact I don't know anyone that has used them. I didn't want to buy a cheaper tire and then find out I should have went with the more expensive one(Yokohama).

As far as the speed rating of the tire,I don't plan on going lower than VR. In fact, I found a BF Goodrich set that I really like that is rated ZR.

Old 05-06-2008, 12:58 PM
Banned

Glad I could help.

Isn't their tread pattern really unique? I have never seen anything close to it before.

Also, my brother beats the hell out of them and they have loads of life left.

Old 05-06-2008, 01:05 PM

ORIGINAL: Sebba

Glad I could help.

Isn't their tread pattern really unique? I have never seen anything close to it before.

Also, my brother beats the hell out of them and they have loads of life left.
Yeah, their tread pattern is pretty cool.

I'm glad to hear the tires can take a beating! I drive a lot for both work and play. I like to get my money's worth out of a set of tires.

BTW,your brother want to sell his Lotus? LOL He definitely has good taste in cars.

Old 05-06-2008, 03:30 PM
Banned

Well good luck, let us know how the car performs with them.

Ha, I doubt it. He has plans for it. Greddy Supercharger... mmmmm yummy.