Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. let's hear about it here.

3000GT Amp or not to Amp

Old 10-04-2008, 05:44 PM
Default 3000GT Amp or not to Amp

I have replaced the head unit with a new Sony CD/tuner/Blue Tooth unit, both dash speakers with OEM speakers, both front speakers with Alpines, and left the rears ones because they sound ok. (NOT BLOWN)

When I had the head unit replaced, they said this unit had so much more power that I didn't need the amp that was OEM under the seat.

I don't "love" the sound quailty. My old 1994 BMW 525 with OEM speakers and radion setup sounds alot better!

My question is.. should I install another AMP? I have found one on Crutchfield that fits and looks good. Alpine MRP-F250

Please advise!

Thank you in advance

Old 10-16-2008, 12:03 AM
Default RE: 3000GT Amp or not to Amp

Ok, so here's what I would do if you came to my shop and asked me to put together a stereo system for you.

1.) Ditch the Sony, car audio is not their strong suit.......come to think of it the only thing they've really got going for them is their laptops.
2.) Get a good quality deck. Alpine, Pioneer, Eclipse, etc. Get something with a graphic equalizer, high pass filter, and 3 pre amp outputs
3.) Replace ALL of your speakers. The Alpines can stay, you actually picked a pretty good prand for the door speakers. I'd recomend Alpine, Infinity, Eclipse, or Boston Acoustics for the remainder of the speakers
4.) Pick up a good 4 channel amplifier to handle your mids and highs. Rockford Fosgate is my personal preference when it comes to amplifiers
5.) Pick up a good sub/amp/box combination that will fit your listening style

And there you have it, an audio system to be proud of.

Old 10-16-2008, 08:22 AM
Default RE: 3000GT Amp or not to Amp

Thanks Evo,

I would have to agree with all that you say! This is my second and last Sony headunit. I am not happy with it at all. but I am not going to trash it because it does work well.

It's been awhile since I orginally posted this so, of course, I have already installed an Amp. I got an ALPINE 4 channel 300watt unit, that fits under the passenger's seat. works GREAT! I am able to dial in my speakers and have them produce the best sound quaility they possible.

My last step would be a power amp with sub.. but I don't know if I need that now... I am finally happy with my system.. it can ROCK