Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. let's hear about it here.

SiriusXM radio tuner for 2015 Outlander?

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2015, 09:35 PM
Default SiriusXM radio tuner for 2015 Outlander?

I am in the process of buying a new 2015 Outlander base model (ES), and am looking to add SiriusXM. If you look in the "Convenience Features" on this page: 2015 Mitsubishi Outlander Specifications, you will notice that the "SiriusXM® Satellite Radio with 3-month pre-paid subscription" is shown as <b class="Bold">optional</b> for the two SE trim, and <b class="Bold">standard</b> on the top-of-the-line GT package, but a dash implying that it is not available on the bottom-end ES trim.

I have read of a type of device called a "satellite radio tuner" available for most or all cars these days that make the satellite radio features designed into the radios come alive. It plugs into the back of the newer radios.

So here's my question: Since the same model radio is indicated as being standard on all trim levels of the 2015 Outlander, assuming that the satellite radio feature is enabled by plugging in a "satellite radio tuner", doesn't it make sense that you could enable the feature in the lowest trim package by obtaining that tuner and plugging it into the back of the radio? And if that's so, can I just buy the tuner from a dealer, or if, for whatever reason, they can't or won't sell me one, can I pull one out of a GT (or SE if so equipped) in a salvage yard and plug it into mine? And if that is so, what earlier year Outlanders would a tuner compatible with 2015 be found in? (Perhaps they have the dash on the SiruisXM radio feature for the ES trim because the antenna is missing from the ES trim package - so maybe the tuner would work if I also add the antenna?)

If the ES radio has the satellite radio feature built in but it just needs to be enabled with a tuner (and perhaps an antenna), I see aftermarket tuners (Pioneer and SiriusXM brand) out there, but I did come across a comment somewhere that, though the aftermarket tuners will work, to fully use the display features of the Mitsubishi radio, a Mitsubishi tuner has to be used. I just say that to explain why I would like to use a Mitsubishi tuner rather than an aftermarket one, even though the aftermarket ones would basically function.

I hope this all makes sense, and thinks to anyone who can educate me on this.

Old 03-08-2015, 07:51 PM

I found out what I needed to know.

Thanks.