Here are the correct methods for torquing down your head bolts after replacing a head gasket or doing any head work. Also note these procedures are for stock head studs.
Here is a typical #'d layout of the headgasket. It is always a good idea to tighten the bolts in order from 1-10 for each step
1. Torque all center bolts to 25 ft-lbs, torque the 4 corner bolts to 25 ft-lbs
2. Torque all center bolts to 50 ft-lbs, torque the 4 corner bolts to 50 ft-lbs
3. Re-Torque all center bolts to 50 ft-lbs, re-torque the 4 corner bolts to 50 ft-lbs
4. Tighten all bolts in the sequence from #1-#10 an additional 1/4 turn.
1. Torque all bolt to 58 ft-lbs in order
2. Loosen all bolts completely to 0 ft-lbs
3. Torque all bolts to 15 ft-lbs in order
4. Tighten all bolt 1/4 turn in order
5. Tighten all bolts an additional 1/4 turn in order.
ARP Head Studs
1. Tighten all bolts to 40 ft-lbs
2. Tighten in steps of 10 ft-lbs increments until the specified torque that you are looking for is reached. This can vary with the amount of boost you plan on running.