Everything else Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue that doesnt fit into the other categories?? Ask it here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1993 Mirage Transaxle (f4a22) - Engine starts, no movement of car in any gears.

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2007, 09:36 PM
Default 1993 Mirage Transaxle (f4a22) - Engine starts, no movement of car in any gears.

So.... I'll be very interested in seeing who will have the right solution for this problem.

Basically I was driving my 1993 Mirage in the end of a 2 hour drive. As I accelerate from a 4-way stop, the car suddenly acts as if it was put in Neutral. So engine keeps running, and pulls RPMs, but the car rolls to a stop. I was not able to make the car move again after that.

The car has 82.000 miles on it, has been serviced and had oil changed on regular basis. Also, no previous slipping gears etc.
The transmission is an F4A22 automatic transmission.

Observations:
- The engine will start without any problem
- No engine error display / codes
- All fluids are at the correct level and colour (Pink ATF fluid, does not smell burnt, no metal parts in pan/filter)
- The engine changes RPMs slightly if put in any gears (R/D/2/L)
- No movement if gas pedal is pushed down, but engine pulls RPMs with no problem

What I've done so far:
- Checked fluids
- Removed pan, filter and valve body at the bottom of the AT
- Checked all valves in valve body for movement, clean of metal/dirt, connections of wires for solenoids. No damage and full movement.
- Changed ATF filter and fluids
- Reinstalled valve body, manual valve connection with lever, filter, pan and fluids.
- Checked fluid (oil) pump. It will suck the fluid up from the pan.
- Checked inhibitor switch. Works.
- Checked fuse for TCM (transmission control module). Working.
- Checked TCM for any visual damage/damages to components. None.

The car will still not move at all, and I'm running out of options. As far as I've been able to find information online and in the factory service manual, this is what could be wrong.
If the pump or valves does not work, or too little fluids, the car would not move. I've checked that.
If the TCM did not work, the AT should go into fail-safe mode which would make it be stuck in 2nd or 3rd gear.

If there is anything I did not do right, or I'm missing, feel free to ask/comment. I have no idea what could be up with the transmission at this point and I'm getting tired of not being able to find any information on this specific problem.

Thanks,
Kenny

Old 10-20-2007, 05:39 PM
Default RE: 1993 Mirage Transaxle (f4a22) - Engine starts, no movement of car in any gears.

you have stripped torque converter impeller splines.

Old 10-21-2007, 12:24 AM
Default RE: 1993 Mirage Transaxle (f4a22) - Engine starts, no movement of car in any gears.

Thanks for the reply!

A buddy and I was just discussing the torque converter as a possible problem. I just haven't been able to find info on the problem, other than the solutions I've been trying so far.

Now... Is the torque converter a separate part within my transmission that I can change (by taking out the transmission), or is it integrated so I'm looking at a full transmission (except in case of a rebuild)???
What would you consider my best option to solve this???

Once again, thank you. I'm learning more and getting closer!

Old 10-21-2007, 08:50 AM

the torque converter is the large fluid coupling between the engine and transaxle, but (not to be rude) if you dont know what one is, you probably shouldnt be working on an automatic transaxle.
at any rate, you do need to remove the transaxle to access it.

Old 10-21-2007, 12:38 PM

Ha ha, no offense taken.

I've been working on cars and bikes, taking them apart and fixing it upa lot before. You know, learning by doing. Just never had an automatic transmission before.
Thought this would be a good opportunity to try and fix it, since I'm taking it out the transaxle anyways to replace it.

Thank you for your input, it is appreciated.

Old 10-23-2007, 04:43 PM

remove the torque converter from the bellhousing (once the trans is out), and then tilt it "snout" side down in a bucket to let it drain.
once its drained, inspect the splines inside the converter. You'll probably see that they are rounded out.
you can usually get a converter rebuilt for around 150 bucks at any multitude of trans shops/retailers

Old 11-23-2007, 05:22 PM

yes the fuses can be good but back probing the harnes at the tcm is aslo a good start it apears to look good but be bad . manybrews you could be right as well