Everything else Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue that doesnt fit into the other categories?? Ask it here!

2004 galant wont start

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2009, 09:27 AM
Default 2004 galant wont start

I was searching the web for an answer to my 2004 galant working fine in the morning and then in the afternoon dead. Found this posting on fixya:

My 2004 Mitsubishi Galant was driving great in the afternoon. I returned home and had to leave again shortly after. When I attempted to start the car again, it basically completly shut down. The digital mileage flashes when the door is open and only half of the numbers are appearing on the screen. The car does not appear to have any functions. Even the keyless remote will not work to lock/unlock doors or open trunk. I am worried this is a computer board or something but I'm hoping its the battery. Any ideas?

With this reply:

sounds like the battery to me. if not it would be the ETACS.

yep i just checked and there is a TSB out on it.

SC-04-002 JUN 04

When I click on the link above it takes me to this forum but I can't seem to find that particular one. Is it too old and if so, is there anyone who can help with this problem or give me some direction, would greatly appreciate any help from this newbie.
thanx
Lisa

Old 05-25-2009, 11:46 AM

2004 Mitisubishi Galant

Manufacturer recall/service bulletin issued
Recall # C0402B
ETACS REPLACE

Your local dealer should be able to look that up along with your VIN and perform it for free.

Old 05-25-2009, 02:26 PM

thx broke dad, i really appreciate the help

Old 05-25-2009, 02:51 PM

let me ask u one more thing if I could,
first off I can't find that recall # anywhere, only can find a recall with a different # for electrical system: ignition....says key can be taken out while car is not in park and that could cause car to roll.....but that doesn't seem like that would be my problem.
the brake is really hard to push down and the gear shifter is locked, like you cant budge it even with my foot on the brake and the button pushed in on shifter, it's like the car just locked up. Could a battery cause that to happen? I am going to take it and have it tested but I was just wondering if u thought a bad battery could just go like that and never give any indications that it was going to die? Sorry I'm rattling on, it's been a long weekend. Thnx again for your help. Lisa

Old 05-25-2009, 03:05 PM

I remember a long time ago having a Ford Tempo and I couldn't get it out of park while holding the brake and pushing the button on the shifter. The rental guy came out .. smacked the plastic handle back down on the shifter .. FIXED. That is the only thing I can think of off the top of my head.

Take your car in this week and have the dealer look up and do all the recalls. They can look up your vehicle by VIN and see what hasn't been done. You might even get them to forgo a towing charge if you talk nice instead of chewing them out. Most dealers are desperate for work right now in this economy and want to do any work they can even if it's recall/warranty repair.

I was only able to find that recall using carfax reports on the same car you have that are for sale. It was listed as needing to be done.

Here are those links:

http://www.carfax.com/cfm/check_orde...AB46S04E089363

http://www.carfax.com/cfm/check_orde...AB76S84E096613

Last edited by BrokeDad; 05-25-2009 at 03:19 PM.