Everything else Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue that doesnt fit into the other categories?? Ask it here!

bad starts, sputtering, dying while driving, whats wrong???

Old 11-17-2008, 04:19 PM
Default bad starts, sputtering, dying while driving, whats wrong???

Ok so this isnt my car, its a friends, its a 95 body with a 98 420a in it. Anyways as said its having trouble starting sometimes, sputtering, and dying while driving, and also theres now a smell of gas while driving. Another friend of mine pulled the codes that its throwing currently and said the crank position sensor and the coil #2 are popping up. Now were wanting to get some opinions from you guys and see what you think, soo is it both of them or possibly something else?? Again we just want some opinions and try and get a more precise answer from your opinions so we know what to look more specifically at. Also my friend that pulled the codes went ahead and reset the ecu and also checked tps, cmps, map, etc... and hes just not sure xactly wut it is. Thanks for all help guys.

ps. Sorry the message is so long, had to make sure i put everything the first time

Old 11-17-2008, 04:29 PM
Default RE: bad starts, sputtering, dying while driving, whats wrong???

Don't worry about the post being long. It's pretty short compared to my posts and others, lol. Need more info though...
Which ECU do you a 2Ga (95-96) ECU or a 2Gb (97-99) ECU? The maps are a little different in the latter years, which was supposed to have netted a little more HP. There have been reports that folks that swap motors from generations, but not ECUs have issues with the way the motor runs.
How long has your car been running like this? What was the last thing done to the car, which may contribute to the way it is running now?

Anyway, the CPS sounds like it needs to be replaced. That item sends the ECU the timing info for spark and fuel. BTW, that's crank position and not cam position sensor (there's some terminology confusion in the manual).

Old 11-17-2008, 04:55 PM

Ok i just asked and he said its a 98 ecu so its not that its recieving mixed signals i guess. So it must be the CPS then cause then that would explain why its having a code thrown on the coil #2. But basically hes touched nothing since he bought the car, he bought it as is, its fully built, rods, cams, pistons, and its also stroked .2 over, cam gears, exhasut, suspension, everything already done by a friend of his, sooo its nothing by him, so id presume youre probably right in that its the CPS going bad, ill just tell him to get it checked out to make sure and atleast now he can know specifically what to look at. thanks silvercoupe

Old 11-17-2008, 04:58 PM

oh and almost forgot, he said its been doing this for the past couple wks now, hes only owned the car for 4 months now too btw