Everything else Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue that doesnt fit into the other categories?? Ask it here!

car jumps when put into reverse or drive

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2005, 12:59 AM
Default car jumps when put into reverse or drive

well just resently my engine light came on so i took it to autozone and they told me that cyl 1 was misfiringand a different code P1600 witch they didnt know what it was and told me to take it to the dealer but i havent done that yet..Anyways i dicided to change the spark plugs and now when i put my car in reverse or drive it jumps a little bit but more in reverse, but just for a quick second. and also when i drive it its not picking speed up fast anymore.
I just wanted to know if anyone could help me with this problem

Old 11-10-2005, 12:04 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: car jumps when put into reverse or drive

Does it run really rough? If so then it sounds like you MAY have mixed up the plug wires. Also another test you might want to do that doesn't require any tools: First watch the engine while it's running. Does it shake at all or sit still? If it shakes then start at the #1 cylinder and pull the wire see what happens. Did it die? Did the engine sound rougher? Or was there no change? If there was no change then that is your problem cylinder. It's not firing. If it sputtered then plug the wire back in (If the engine died plug wire in again and restart engine) then repeat process for each of the other cylinders till you find the problem cylinder. Then check for spark on that cylinder. Take out the spark plug for problem cylinder and plug it into it's wire. Holding the wire touch the plug's electrode to the metal of the engine to ground it and see if the spark jumps from the center of the plug to the electrode or not. If it doesn't then you have either a bad plug wire, bad ignition module or a bad distributor cap/rotor (Depending on if your car has the ignition module or if it was a distributor... I THINK it has an ignition module but I don't remember). That should give you a good idea of where to look and how to figure out what's going on there.

Old 11-12-2005, 12:08 PM

Or it may just be a loose wire? check that first.

Old 11-13-2005, 10:06 PM

well i checked for any loose wires and everything seems to be ok....
but it still jumps or jerks a little when i put it into reverse and not
as much in drive anymore...but still my engine light is ON...
its weird when i take off i smash the gas all the way but it
dosent pick up at all!!! after im about at 40mph it then picks
up a lil bit faster.... but still befor i had this problem it would
pick up fast off a stop and since its a automatic off a roll if i would
smash the gas it would drop a gear "rpms" and lunched super
quick.... and by quick i mean quick cus i took off on a Z28 a
few times....
i want some help on fixing this

Old 11-14-2005, 02:44 AM

What model do you have?

Old 11-14-2005, 04:07 AM

Its a 1999 eclipse GST..

Old 11-14-2005, 07:24 PM

Weird... Go get the codes checked by the dealer and see what they say the problem is.

Old 11-14-2005, 08:51 PM

Its in "Limp Mode". There is somethign wrong with your tranny.. I am dealing with the same thing currently. When its in Limp mode, the car has -Park, reverse, nuetral, and 3rd gear- The car won't shift out of third gear when it is in drive. This is a safety device that mitsubishi put in the eclipse to save the tranny when there was something wrong.. Ive done some checking on this lately and there have been many issues related to this. I also got the p1600 code along with a p1500. The p1600 is Serial Communication Link. So there is some reason your computer can't talk to your tranny, and giving it the code..

Ive heard things from, your input output sensor, your speed sensor, wires being hooked up wrong, and voltage issues..

You can drive your car in limp mode around town, but its not recommended to drive it often or hard while its in limp mode.. You cant launch like you could before because it is in 3rd all the time and if you've ever drove a stick you would know how hard it is for a car to start off in 3rd gear...

But let me know if you figure it out..

Old 10-03-2010, 10:02 PM

Hi Guys!

I have a similar problem too my 2000 Eclipse jumps when put into drive or even reverse. I just had my motor mounts replaced too so I am not too sure what the issue may be. Also I have noticed to my car has had some massive shaking when put into drive and reverse. It seems like it has got a lot worse. I checked my fluids and they all seemed good. I just don't know what it could be. When I especially stop at a light or in traffic the vibrating gets pretty intense. It feels as if the whole car is shaking. Can someone steer me into the right direction? Thanks guys

Last edited by fizzwhiz1; 10-03-2010 at 10:15 PM.
Old 10-05-2010, 07:49 AM

The limp mode answer is right on the money. You need to get someone with a good scanner to retreive the code. It could be a major tranny problem or just a sensor. Limp mode means the trans stays is third gear all the time and the jerking in rev and drive is normal in limp mode or "failsafe" as Mitsubishi calls it.

Quick Reply: car jumps when put into reverse or drive