Everything else Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue that doesnt fit into the other categories?? Ask it here!

2003 lancer loss of all electric

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2015, 07:56 AM
Default 2003 lancer loss of all electric

ES model, no frills, has 312K. No other major problems for the life of the vehicle, but for the last few months, have been seeing slight loss of power while at speeds above 40-45, this lasts for less than a sec and then all is normal. Did a basic tune up..plugs, wires, oil, filters etc, and switched to premium gas. Seemed to improve the problem (less occurrences, but not the symptom) so I said I can live with it. This weekend, I'm driving at about 35mph and I experience complete loss of power..no lights on dash, everything off. I start to pull to the side of the road, and engine springs back to life, transmission is still in drive and vehicle accelerates. Get the same occurrence about 1/2 mile down the road..same thing, start to pull off and car springs back to life. Took it home, and next morning brought to dealer. They've had it for 2 days now and although they have seen the issue during test drive, they have no answer yet as to the problem. I don't think it's alternator as the car would drive till battery dies, but I have no skills troubleshooting shorts and/or relay issues. I also have never seen an auto transmission kick back in on its own without shift in park or N and restart of engine..Almost like push starting a manual transmission. Any ideas? Thanks in advance. Emujo99