Everything else Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue that doesnt fit into the other categories?? Ask it here!

MMCS Data Files - Japanese to English

Old 09-11-2014, 05:32 AM

Yes remove the HDD. Pop off the small plastic cover behind the screen that says HDD and unscrew with Torx driver. Pull the plastic tab and drive will slide out.

Yes you need to be able to connect it to a pc or laptop. Yes it is a 2.5" HDD so you will need to be able to connect and power up. For a desktop you will need a 3.5" to 2.5" IDE converter.

https://mega.co.nz/#!uJdlXb4J!_DB_6m...Q8L9qYPXMUhA8k

instructions for XBOXHDM are included with this download

Cheers

Originally Posted by pgs2050
I recently acquired a new Japanese import - 2007 Outlander - here in Auckland, NZ and am looking into converting the j-01 unit to english.

It seems that we need to download 2 items before we get started:

1. XBOXBHDM - an ISO of a linux utility to unlock the original xbox hard drives. This ISO must be burnt to a CD.

2. The english language files for the MMCS - once the hard drive is unlocked, this file will be used to replace the japanese file. This file was made available by W@zfa(3 in a post in another thread

https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/mi...-25583/page56/

If you use the link in HJB's quotes in this thread, mega (the file host site) requires a decryption key before allowing the download to proceed - at least this is what happens for me. Using the link in the original post, I get download access to a 25MB file.

I have not been able to locate the xboxhdm ISO - does anyone have a working link to share?

I also have not yet extracted the hard drive from the car - can anyone confirm that the cable required to connect the hard drive to a pc is the standard IDE cable? Or is another cable required for "laptop" harddrives.

Old 09-11-2014, 05:44 PM

Hey thanks for that it worked a treat. Got over my first hurdle as the link above wouldn't run in my old Windows browser so had to complete using Chrome. Already have the 2 files required for english conversion (ie All data and Loading.kwi) as well as IDE adaptor so I should be good to go. Might read over the instructions a couple of times to get my head around things.

Thanks for the help. Sometimes its just a simple barrier which can trip up the whole process espeically when dealing with IT issues.

jim

Last edited by Benckj; 09-11-2014 at 06:49 PM.
Old 09-17-2014, 04:27 PM

Dam I must be the biggest idiot working on this. Got all set-up with laptop, IDE adaptor, boot disk, updated files, bucket of tools, etc and went to attack the MMCS HDD. Following disconnect of main truck battery which I presume is the one you need to remove I couldn't get the plastic protector off on the HDD. It has some sort of slider along with a hole to push a pin into which did nothing.Whats the trick here mate as I didn't want to pry off wrong and break cover? Tried a knife onto top edge but it didn't want to give way.jim

Old 09-18-2014, 05:23 AM
HJB

Originally Posted by Benckj
Dam I must be the biggest idiot working on this. Got all set-up with laptop, IDE adaptor, boot disk, updated files, bucket of tools, etc and went to attack the MMCS HDD. Following disconnect of main truck battery which I presume is the one you need to remove I couldn't get the plastic protector off on the HDD. It has some sort of slider along with a hole to push a pin into which did nothing.Whats the trick here mate as I didn't want to pry off wrong and break cover? Tried a knife onto top edge but it didn't want to give way.jim
LOL - Glad your finally giving it a go.
There is an inset on the left edge - leverage it open from there
MMCS Data Files - Japanese to English-hdd-cover.jpg

Old 09-18-2014, 03:38 PM

Thanks for that. I found the notch on LHS which was hiding in the shadows. Managed to get a knife blade into and pop off cover. It was very tight and not easy to give way. The hole on other side is a diversion which alos contains a clip on underside.Working on HDD today so with any luck will be able to pop back into MMCS tonight and give a go. Using an IDE/SADA adapter to USB but having difficulties with plug-pin alignment. They don't seem to be compatible.Taking a few pics to share once I get everything organised. Jimb

Last edited by Benckj; 09-18-2014 at 04:24 PM.
Old 09-18-2014, 08:24 PM

The saga continues. Cannot for the life of me get my Toshiba laptop into safe mode so I can boot XBOXHDM and unlock HDD. Have changed Bias, used F1-F12, esc and 0 along with following selection on power ON screen. It is not happy with CD and reverts back to internal HD everytime and boots up using Win XP. Tried re-burning CD with linux ISO to no avail. Have searched on Toshiba boot problems and followed several different leads to rectify.

Frrrrrrustating so will try at home on my PC so I can at least have a beer while I watch system doing its thing. I'll eventually get there.

jimb

Last edited by Benckj; 09-18-2014 at 09:02 PM. Reason: Time to gripe
Old 09-18-2014, 11:22 PM
HJB

USB adapter won't work it needs to be an adapter to plug directly into the Laptop HDD interface.
So you have made it into your BIOS and changed the boot order to CD first or you haven't got that far?
Make sure that when you make the CD it is a bootable cd (check around for settings in the software that you are using)
You could also look-up YUMI USB utility to make a USB boot disk from the ISO. then you will need to change BIOS so USB is before the HDD in boot order.Try this link for YUMI:
YUMI – Multiboot USB Creator | USB Pen Drive Linux
Clear as mud :-)

IF BIOS/Setup access is the issue try HWSetup (for toshi's) from control panel. If it is there, there is boot settings tab that you can change priority for boot devices.

Then Reboot...

Last edited by HJB; 09-18-2014 at 11:30 PM.
Old 09-19-2014, 12:38 AM

Yes I've changed my bias to boot from CD first but laptop just carries on and fires up Windows. I think my adaptor for interface is correct but it does plug into USB among other things. I'll see if I can send pic to your cell no.

Jim

Old 09-21-2014, 03:49 PM

Afrter discovering I actually have the JS-02 model I flagged this conversion for the time being until I verify codes. Still never managed to get the Laptop to boot off CD and believe this is due to not un-plugging internal hardrive. This was not very obvious in orginal instructions but an earlier version I had said that this must be done and the MMCS HDD is plugged into the inererface. HJB mentions this above.

Thanks for all your help and I'll continue to persue this conversion. I want to learn how its done especially since at some point Maps will be available and then I can have the know-how to upload. Another year down the track I'll more than likely sell this 4wd and import another newer model so might as well learn how to convert myself.

jim

Old 10-01-2014, 05:38 AM

Finally gathered all the tools I needed, and managed to swop English language file on hard drive. Not completed as yet since having some trouble getting the MMCS to reboot. Battery terminal disconnected for 10 minutes was not long enough? Or is there another way to force MMCS to reboot with new language files? Would appreciate any help with this.

I have the NR261 JM unit - code on post #86 of the thread How to unlock MMCS worked for me.

B2BAB3BCB0DFACBEB1BBBEDFB1ADD2CDC9CEB5B2DFB19E8996 DFAA8C9A8DDFDF

[Thank you Otaku and all others for the information shared in these forums]

File size of LOADING.KWI files:
Original: 66,964KB
Replaced with: 25,636KB
Does this seem odd?

Almost there, probably need to read pages 10-end of that thread.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: MMCS Data Files - Japanese to English