Everything else Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue that doesnt fit into the other categories?? Ask it here!

NEED HELP!!! Have no idea what this could be?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2012, 11:53 AM
Default NEED HELP!!! Have no idea what this could be?

Ok, i just bought my wife a 2000 Eclipse, the guy tells me you have to push start the car because when you go to start it, nothing happens. As if there were a bad relay, switch, or the clutch switch deal. All would have been great had this been the case. We push start the car when i get there and take it out, the car drives good, has plenty of power (v6) shifts good and clutch feels good. So i drive it two hundred miles back home. And please take i t easy on me here, I've already kicked myself for this. I never checked the issue with the car starting. So i get home and shut it off, turn the key back on and crank it, the dam thing cranks.....and cranks and cranks. So, the car cranks, but will not start, but step behindit and give it a push, pop the clutch and it fires rite off. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Old 04-21-2012, 06:47 PM

Update: getting fuel.... tried some starting fluid for a little extra help and nothing, acting like there is no fire what so ever, now.... why "no fire" then but the dam thing will fire rite up being push started. Any ideas at all guys will help, really would appreciate it.

Old 04-21-2012, 08:19 PM

Maybe something with the starter?? My thought process would go something like this.
1) ok starts by pushing but not by cranking.
2) Which part of the start process does push starting bypass? Certain relays or components? ( I honestly do not know) Must be getting spark. Is there a different timing effect on start-up?
3) Start checking the parts that are bypassed by push starting and that hopefully that will do it.

Old 04-21-2012, 11:43 PM

I didnt think of it that way, i'll start checking that out tomorrow. Thanks for the reply!! and yall keep givin me ideas if you would and ill let you know what it was when i figure it out