Everything else Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue that doesnt fit into the other categories?? Ask it here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Prothane motor mount question

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2004, 05:51 PM
Default Prothane motor mount question

I rescently replaced my '93 eclipse gs motor mounts with the ones from prothane. I noticed that i can hear my tranny winding a little, nothing major, but i can hear it on the decel going downhill and when i hit the gas. Also, my timing belt seems a little louder for a few seconds after i turn it on after it's been warmed up. It's just the whirring you normally get with timing belts, just a bit louder, then it goes away. It doesn't happen when the car's been sitting over night. This happened after i put the mounts in and the belt was replaced by the dealership as well as all the tensioner pullies. Is this the noise that is muffled by the stock mounts? I was told by some people that they think it's normal cause of the solid, stiffer mounts. Any info would be great to put my mind at ease.

Old 10-06-2004, 07:14 PM
Default RE: Prothane motor mount question

probly, when i had my tensioner replaced i noticed a whirring noise, most likely the pully and belts wearing on eachother, it happens untill they are both worn in, probly about 200-300 miles or so itll stop, and the engine bein a little stiffer would most likely cause you to hear it more than before, cause like you said the stock rubber mounts helped to muffle the sound........

Old 10-06-2004, 07:17 PM

now i gotta question for you, do you notice any increase in performance or handling, shifting, etc..... just curious cause i been thinkin bout gettin new ones, since i gotta replace my clutch soon figure i do it while im in there...........

Old 10-07-2004, 03:22 AM

The car definately feels different. Everything feels more responsive. The shifting is more direct because the engine and tranny aren't flopping around like when the stock mounts were in. Acceleration is only improved because you get rid of a lot of wheel hop and shifting becomes easier. You just need to get used to the vibration you feel. You will hear alot of vibration related noise at idle and if you press the gass below 2,800 rpm. It's just something to get used to, but well worth the money. The one thing is that changing the mounts is a pain. Pulling them out of the car is relatively simple and quick, as long as you have extensions and PB-Blaster (in my opinion better than WD-40). But you need to cut out the rubber and then remove the steel sleeve from the mount itself. I used a few flat head screwdrivers and a hammer to hammer all the way through one spot and bend the sleeve to be able to slide it out. Get a file, though, cause you need to smooth out the mount's inner surface the screwdrivers scraped up. Oh yeah, don't go too fast and be sure you have big screwdrivers, or you'll be like me and have the tips break off, making the job that much more of a pain in the ***. Oh yeah, the car's engine sounds bigger with the mounts, too. My fiance loves when I punch it, cause the car just screams and I get people to look at me like "What the hell does it have in there?" lol

Old 10-07-2004, 04:23 PM

cool, how much did they cost you, i found some on ebay but i dont know if its cheaper there or at Parts America...........

Old 10-17-2004, 03:19 AM

they cost me about $80 on ebay.

Old 10-17-2004, 03:36 PM

sweet, a lot cheaper on the bay, thanks............