Everything else Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue that doesnt fit into the other categories?? Ask it here!

Radio Needs a Unlock Code?

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2009, 02:21 PM
Default Radio Needs a Unlock Code?

hey guys, i got a friend who owns a 2001 Mitsubishi Galant, Her car Battery died, and after she got it jump started it runs fine. but now her car's radio doesnt work because it needs and Unlock Code? she said that the radio needs a 4 digit number to unlock it, in order for it to work again?
does anyone know where i can find this 4 digit number or how to get the radio to work again, OR if she will have to take it into a dealership?

does anyone have any information on this that they can give me. ALL help would be appreciated. THANK YOU, Jon

Old 10-17-2009, 08:58 AM

The first thing you need to do is remove the front face from the console around the stereo. After that, look at the stereo, there should be a label with a serial number on it. (I have an Eclipse and the label was right on top of the stereo near the front so I didn't have to unmount it, hope you're as lucky). Call your local dealership and they will ask for the serial number. I have heard that some places refuse to do this over the phone, but my dealership just gave me the code. Once you have the code:

1) Turn on the stereo (CODE should appear in the display).
2) Use the radio preset buttons 1-4 to enter the code (press each button enough times to cycle through until you get the correct digit)
3) After the code is entered, press the "AM/FM" or "CD" button (My Eclipse uses the AM/FM)
4) The stereo SHOULD come on. If you entered the code incorrectly, ERR1 will appear. Be careful...if you get it wrong three times, it will LOCK and you will be forced to bring it in to the dealer to re-program it.

Hope this was helpful.

Last edited by 01Spyderman; 10-17-2009 at 08:59 AM. Reason: minor spelling errors