Everything else Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue that doesnt fit into the other categories?? Ask it here!

safe mode???

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2005, 11:37 PM
Default safe mode???

hey guys, i ran a quick search on it and didn't find anything. i'm about to buy a 90 plymouth laser rs, fwd with the 4g63. it's running like *** though.
all it does is when you accelerate, the boost guage spikes up to 14 and stays, then it quits accerlerating at about 2k, where it then just sputters along. i don't think it's a boost leak/vacumm leak because they're no unusual hisses/whistles.
is there some kind of "limp mode" it tripped itself into? maybe it has a boost leak and i'm just retarded and don't know it? anything i can do to test and see what it is?
thanks

edit: no check engine light either

x2: completely stock

Old 12-23-2005, 02:08 AM
Default RE: safe mode???

A classic problem with 1g dsm's. sounds like the capacitors are leaking onto your circuitry in your ecm. If you can get your hands on it, borrow a good one and see if it doesn't act like a brand new car. Happened on all three 1g eclipses I owned.

Old 12-23-2005, 11:05 AM
Super Moderator

Yes there is a Limp Mode that it could be in. There was something else mentioned about limp mode in the Eclipse section of the forum though I don't remember exactly what was said about it. Does the engine run normally at idle, in park, and reverse? If it does then I'd think that would rule out the ECU capacitors leaking though it would be a good idea to have them replaced now if they haven't been already before the ECU does go bad due to capacitor leak. Check on it though I'm not sure if the 1G Eclipses fell victim to the cap leak problem.

Old 12-23-2005, 11:45 AM

i'll probably end up buying it if i can get it cheap enough anyway. there's a junkyard that i know of that has about 25-30 dsms, most with complete motors and everything. (only hillbillies with v8s know about this place)
it misses and sputters when it's cold, but smoothes out once it warms up. i'm guessing it just needs plugs/wires on that one.

Old 12-23-2005, 12:50 PM
Super Moderator

Yeah hissing and sputtering I'd do a tune-up. Plugs and wires. The capacitor problem even if you get a junkyard ECU it will probably have the possibility as well. Check it out. But the problem to me doesn't sound like an ECU problem. It sounds like you have a trans problem somewhere. Check in the Eclipse section of the forum SOMEONE said something about limp mode I cen't remember what thread it was in though... Might give you a bit more info.