Everything else Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue that doesnt fit into the other categories?? Ask it here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Starting and shifting problems

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2006, 01:31 PM
Default Starting and shifting problems

I have a 96 Eclipse GS-T that I recently purchased and is having some slight problems:

1. It has problems starting after sitting for a night, it starts fine after I get it going. I changed spark plugs, air filter and cleaned the induction system and the fuel system. Also, to get it started in the morning I have to turn the key and pump the gas quite a bit to get it started. When it does, it makes a high pitched sound, like a belt is squealing, momentarily and then turns off.

2. After driving for about five minutes and it gets warmed up, it becomes increasingly hard to shift, especially down shift. I had my tranny fluid flushed and I'm wondering if there's anything else I should try.

Any ideas hit me back I'd appreciate it

Jason

Old 08-30-2006, 05:18 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Starting and shifting problems

1. The belt squelling is just cuz its cold, nothing really to worry about unless it starts doin it after being warmed up. Have you checked the battery?

2. Could be something to do with the clutch may be goin out, maybe a bad master cylinder or throw out bearing

Old 08-30-2006, 07:07 PM

I checked the battery and it's fine. Perhaps I need a fuel pump? Not sure about the starting problem.

In terms of the clutch, I haven't taken it to a transmission place like AAmco. Would that be my best bet?

Old 08-30-2006, 11:01 PM
Banned

If you clutch is not slipping then its absolutly fine. You may want to take it to a trans place but dont act on what ever they say. Just post it here and we will tell you if its logical or not. On the startup thing i had the same problem with my car. I had a few bad spark plug wires. I recomend just getting some stock ones.

If you have an exhaust with a strait pipe that can contribute to it.

Old 08-31-2006, 12:49 AM

I have the same problem with shifting.... It gets so bad that if I come to a complete stop at a light or something... Sometimes i can't shift into first... I have the shift into second first and then jam it into first.... but if i down shift as the car is still rolling.. it will work.... but the RPMs have to be pretty low... any suggestions?

Old 08-31-2006, 01:22 AM
Banned

a lighter flywheel would help both of you

Old 08-31-2006, 07:31 PM
Super Moderator

I really doubt a lighter flywheel will help. My guess is that its the TOB.

Old 08-31-2006, 10:30 PM
Banned

dude DO be serious. A flywheel will make down****s much smoother and faster plus make the car rev up faster. Also making shifting easier ont he clutch by reducing the rotating mass...

Old 09-11-2006, 01:06 AM

Allright, a little update here:

I took the car back to the dealer and they changed the master and slave cylinder. It's definetely shifting better which is great. At the dealership they also put in a new multi port fuel injection relay. This doesn't seem to have done anything, is there anything else I can do to make it start better? It wont start when it's cold and I have to pump the gas to get it started. Once I get it started it's fine though. I've already changed the spark plugs and that didn't do much. I do have a custom exhaust, could this be contributing?

Another thing I've noticed lately is that when I'm driving and the turbo begins to spool and then picks up, the car jerks forward, backward, forward, backward and then will catch. Is there a problem or is the turbo just getting warmed up? Is the turbo just running too rich (someone else offered this idea)?

Thanks

Old 09-11-2006, 10:30 AM
Super Moderator

have you changed the spark plug wires. That could be your problem with the start-up and the jerking. I doubt its the exhaust. Does it only do it after its just been started but is fine after a bit?

Quick Reply: Starting and shifting problems