Front License Plate

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2007, 09:45 AM
Default Front License Plate

okay, so I just bought me a new (to me) 06 Eclipse. the thing is I live in Nebraska, and bought it in Kansas. Kansas does NOT require that the vehicles on the road have a front license plate. in Nebraska they do.
now, I have always hated having a front license plate on my vehicles, it just looks dumb, but every other car I've bought has at least had a frame, so I put the plates on. now, I have a car that looks better than anything I've ever owned, and it has no bracket. I want to say it'll be a cold day in hell before I drill into my bumper, but what other choice do I have, other than getting pulled over on every cops whim?
comments, suggestions?

Please help me not to defile the look of my shiny new car!
thanks![/align]

Old 05-10-2007, 12:08 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Front License Plate

You got no choice but to put two holes in the front bumper. Just get the braket from a mitsu dealer

Old 05-10-2007, 12:09 PM

You could try the put it in your front windshield trick... never tried it myself, but Ive been told cops dont have a big problem with it..

Old 05-10-2007, 01:21 PM

I appreciate the input. I think that I'll try the windshield thing for as long as possible. I am just hoping that when I go out for a suds or two (never more when I have to drive) that some cop isn't having a bad day and decide to pull me over anyway. I am going to try and resist defacing the front of my car for as long as possible.
Guess I'll just have to take the wife's jeep when I don't want to test getting pulled over.

Old 05-10-2007, 01:54 PM

Ive seen people put them up into the like... radiator area... but I wouldnt suggest it.

Old 05-10-2007, 02:41 PM

they might still pull you over for having it in the windshield, they did on my car, so i just zipped tied it to the grill of my car.

Old 05-10-2007, 10:45 PM

you zip tied it to your grill? doesn't that look worse than the god awful bracket and license plate? or do you only zip tie it to the grill when you have a fix it ticket that you need signed, and then clip it off when you are out of there?
I have a friend who is a member of 3SI, he has 2 3KGT's and he actually cut down his license plate, and wired it to the lower grill area. I would consider doing that myself, but my eclipse came without any mesh to attach anything to.
oh well, 29 more days to figure out something before I have to buy my plates

Old 05-11-2007, 12:07 AM

there was a local story near my town ... some kid put it on the windshield and decided to act a little stupid in an empty parking lot. when he got his car spinning out of control in different directions, the plate somehow sliced his lip and cheek. he has a bigger smile on one side of his face.

why not put the lisence plate on your bumper to make it look a little more aggressive? you know ... how evo's have it under their right headlight. i have yet to see a dsm that way, but i might try it.

Old 05-11-2007, 12:11 AM

I made a bracket with brushed aluminum from Home Depot. The screws mount where the bumper bar is and off to the driver's side headlight.
So, in all, I didn't have to drill holes in the stock location. I bought my car in Louisiana and they don't have front plates either. Hawaii, requires the front plate though. I had my plate attached to the passenger visor for a long time, then I decided to mount it up front before I get pulled over for it...they're pretty strict about the plates here.

Old 05-14-2007, 02:04 PM

ORIGINAL: silvercoupe97
I made a bracket with brushed aluminum from Home Depot. The screws mount where the bumper bar is and off to the driver's side headlight.
So, in all, I didn't have to drill holes in the stock location.

do you have pictures of that bracket? maybe you could e-mail your "Plans"
I know exactly what is going to happen too, I have to put plates on it by the 9th of June, and on the 10th of June, they are going to announce that front plates are no longer required... right after I drill into my unmarred bumper

thanks for all the input and ideas guys! [/align]

Quick Reply: Front License Plate